SOLVED: Instructions From Buyer?

colin_m
Contributor
Contributor

I've set up an eccomerce site for a client of mine with payment through PayPal - using a Add To Cart button and have created a low cost item to live test the process.

Everything works fine except that in the "payment received" email under Instructions from buyer it says non provided.

In the Add To Cart button settings I have allow customer note checked under shipping.

But in the whole payment process I could not see any field that allows any customer note?

A survey question is no good, because I want to give my client's customers the ability to type some instructions or additional info in?

Is this a configuration on my Client's PayPal account that needs to be turned "On" please?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

colin_m
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, and I should add that I have Display "Add Instructions To Seller" value set as YES under payment receiving preferences.

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The setting is on your end and per your post, sounds like you have it setup correctly.  Don't know if you gone thru the entire checkout process because you don't see that option until almost the end of the process.  What we've learned that most customers go right past that feature regardless of what you do.

What works better for collecting specific info is to include a text field with the item button code.  By using the "option" variables in your item button code, you can be sure to get the additional info if needed.  (You can also add some scripting to the button code which in turn can make that field a requirement if necessary.)

Login to Me Too

colin_m
Contributor
Contributor

Hi snowshoe - thank you for your reply. 

"Don't know if you gone thru the entire checkout process because you don't see that option until almost the end of the process. " 

- yes, I conducted several actual LIVE and FULL payments and that option is DEFINATELY not there? How do I get that to display please?

"What we've learned that most customers go right past that feature regardless of what you do.

What works better for collecting specific info is to include a text field with the item button code.  By using the "option" variables in your item button code, you can be sure to get the additional info if needed.  (You can also add some scripting to the button code which in turn can make that field a requirement if necessary.)"

That will mean a forum field (displayed on my Client's site)  for every single Add To Cart Button wouldn't it? If that is the case then that would not be practical with the current webpage layout.

Couldn't PayPal simply add an Additional Instructions text field to the check out process? 

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Sorry you don't see what you're looking for, we know the feature works for us.  Suggest opening a Support Ticket as the engineers can look at your issue.

https://ppmts.custhelp.com/app/home

You will need to setup an account first, then you can submit and track your question.

Login to Me Too

colin_m
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick reply snowshoe - 🙂 will do.

Login to Me Too

colin_m
Contributor
Contributor

woohoo!! Cracked it - issues with the code I was using. 🙂

(BTW - I wish PaPal would use Breadcrumbs on their websites - navigation is a nightmare)

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Good to hear!  (And agree, navigation is challenging, definitely could be simpler.)

Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.