Hold on funds - ebay user can't ;eave feedback - how can I get funds released

jimnto
Contributor
Contributor

I sold something last week and, strangely, the buyer was a guy who found my item and created an account so he could make the purchase.  Even stranger is that the guy lives near me so for the shipping fee I drove the item to him.

Paypal has a hold on my funds.  I asked the seller to leave feedback (which is what is needed, I believe), but he said that as a new user, he can't do it until after five days.

He emailed me his satisfaction - is there a way to get Paypal to release my funds? 

Jim N

Toronto

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jimnto

Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies and have 2 separate policies for holding funds for new sellers.
If yours was an Ebay transaction then its an Ebay hold and Ebay authorise when paypal can release the funds.
Also Ebay feedback has no bearing on payment release. Normally for the Ebay hold its when tracking shows the item as delivered + 3 days if you use Ebay / paypal postage.

If you personally delivered the item then you have 0 seller protection and as you can't provide tracking you will have to wait 21 days unfortunately.

Best if you had refunded paypal and then accepted cash on delivery.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jimnto

Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies and have 2 separate policies for holding funds for new sellers.
If yours was an Ebay transaction then its an Ebay hold and Ebay authorise when paypal can release the funds.
Also Ebay feedback has no bearing on payment release. Normally for the Ebay hold its when tracking shows the item as delivered + 3 days if you use Ebay / paypal postage.

If you personally delivered the item then you have 0 seller protection and as you can't provide tracking you will have to wait 21 days unfortunately.

Best if you had refunded paypal and then accepted cash on delivery.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jimnto
Contributor
Contributor

THanks  - I have email and a receipt that the guy signed.  And we did the exchange in a public space.

But whatever.  THank you

Jim N

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jimnto

I can only tell you Ebay / paypal rules and how they work, I don't make their policy, so your welcome.

I do quite a few collection auctions but always refuse paypal and accept cash only, that way i have cash in hand / no risks of a claim and best of all no paypal fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jimnto
Contributor
Contributor

I finally got my money - I had to escalate the call two levels.  Everyone was nice but it wasn't until I reached an upper manager.  He reviewed to criteria for releasing a payment and positive feedback by the buyer was enough.  

Previously I got different answers each time I called in.  I think the system is broken - and it is because of rules they've had to implement against scammers.

Thanks @kernowglass for your answer.  

Login to Me Too

jimnto
Contributor
Contributor

I am so mad at the system I can hardly think straight. Thank you @kernoglass it was because the buyer left feedback that the funds were released. I appreciate your answer. Thank you. I would like to know more about how to avoid using PayPal - it is no pal of mine.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jimnto

Firstly glad its resolved, secondly i am not kernoglass, I am kernowlass, and lastly if you don't want to use paypal then don't sell on ebay OR do what i do and sell ''cash on collection'' only.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.