seller cancelled purchase, but PayPal keeps denying my claim

Vesper2112
Contributor
Contributor

I placed an online order with a company in China (for a costume) with a note asking to not make the costume unless they can assure me I would have in time (they had dates listed I could pick from). After several days with no response, I tried contacting them. No response AND their website went down. After the date I requested had passed, I put in a claim with PayPal and was denied. The seller finally did e-mail me saying that they were sorry and that the cancelled my order as requested (which I did in the second e-mail I sent them) and said that if a refund doesn't show up in my account within 3 days, I should get PayPal to do it. Well after the 3 days, I again asked PayPal about this and was denied again. I then opened a case and called it "unauthorized transaction". PayPal put in the refund immediately with the note saying that if they decided this was false, they would then recharge me... which is exactly what they did. So I'm not sure what to do now. The seller isn't returning my e-mails anymore, so they seem unwilling to do whatever they need to do to refund me. So I'm being charged for a costume that I won't get (because it was cancelled) and I don't understand what else PayPal needs to prove this to them. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Vesper2112

Why did paypal deny the first claim? What did you open it for?

Your unauthorised transaction would never work as you were telling paypal that your account had been hacked and used without your consent and you did not authorise that transaction............which you did.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Vesper2112
Contributor
Contributor

It doesn't show up in my Resolution Center anymore, but I believe I did it under "I have a billing issue" and was asking for a refund because I couldn't get a response from the seller and the date I needed the costume by had passed. I completely understand this wasn't an unauthorized purchase, but since my first attempt failed, it didn't look like I could use the same reason for another dispute, so I went with the only other option I thought might reopen it. Ultimately, I wanted to talk to someone about this rather than continue to get automated responses in hopes I could get help with where I should go with this (like what would PayPal require to get the refund).

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Vesper2112

You can open a dispute for ..........

1. Non-receipt of item...........if you had selected that one then you would have had a refund if the seller could not provide a tracking number that proved delivery of the item to you.

2. Item received but not as described................N/A

3. Unauthorised transaction..................N/A

There is no 'billing issue'.

So have you opened a dispute for option 1?

Did you get an email to say the seller had issued a refund?

Does any refund show in your paypal activity?

How did you FUND the payment via paypal in the first place?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.