scams: southwest airlines

amiemramirez
New Community Member

I just got an email confirming my paypal account was used to purchase tickets on Oct 25 for a flight on Nov 1 but it isnt showing up in my actual paypal acct as activity.Is this just a scam and they want me to open the email?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

rhandywylde
New Community Member

I just received a scam email as well. The email is very well done, with all legitimate Southwest links except one: the "Cancel Now" link towards the top of the email. I've included a screenshot for reference. Might be a good idea to send out an email to customers to warn them of this scam email, which wasn't filtered out by my email client - Hotmail.

SWscam.png

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if you did not get a Paypal email and you cant find it in your activities ,then it is pfishing,report it to your ISP.

Login to Me Too

kellyb11
New Community Member

I also received an email for an Eticket Reservation for Southwest for people I don't know. 

From <removed>

Login to Me Too

babynurse
Contributor
Contributor

I also just rec'd an email about my ETicket Reservation with Southwest Airlines.  I must admit, it looks pretty convincing. I really thought my PayPal account had been hacked!  Of course, I know to NEVER click on ANYTHING in an email, so I just logged in to PayPal directly to verify it.  Sure enough, it's a phishing scam!  

If anyone else gets this email (or any suspicious email), you're supposed to forward it to "spoof@PayPal.com"

Below is a screenshot of the email that I just forwarded them. 

PayPal Scam Email.jpg

Login to Me Too

ExPatInCA
New Community Member

I pulled the HTML for the very authentic email about tickets being bought on my PayPal account.

I also called Southwest and they confirmed the 6 character Booking Locator is invalid.

Those CANCEL links feed to a complex URL in the "t.co" domain, which Twitter uses to create "short" URLs if a user so requests.

I have reported this to PayPal and to <removed>.

Only Twitter can work backwards to find which user generated the "https://t.co.-------" links.

Note the use of "https" - that's smart because if you click it the "Secure" icon shows.

There is also a minor grammar error:

" To cancel this reservation, log in to your PayPaI account or by follow link below" - should be "following".

Login to Me Too

Valebrat1
New Community Member
I fell into the scam realized I filled out my info with ssn... smh. Until they asked for cc info I realized I’ve been had. What do I need to worry about now... everything I know. But where should I start?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.