Social Security verification

Guarocuya
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Even though I haven't had any account activity in over a week, after complaining about my chargeback situation I get hit with an account limitation by PayPal. Never before has my account been limited  but sure enough, I'm following all the steps required to get said limitations lifted but then I hit a snag when it asks for my Social Security number and me, being Latinamerican and also 100% sure that I am inputting said SS no. correctly, can't get past PayPal's message that it is a wrong one?

As per a PayPal employee in the paypal-community.com forums, "...there may be issues recognizing small discrepancies in the names such as Mike instead of Michael and other simple changes a person may make to their name."

I'll repeat, I believe this to be some sort of unjust and unwarranted retaliation for me initiating a chargeback against paypal or outright ignorance towards Latinamerican naming customs.

Sincerely,

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The name on your PayPal acount must be you legal name, the same as on all your legal documents.  It is your responsiblity to get the names right.  This would be same as for your bank; you need to use legal names.

You had some irregular activity and PayPal sees extra risk so your account needs to be verified.  PayPal will investigate and it will likely take some time with the outcome being uncertain.

Login to Me Too

Guarocuya
Contributor
Contributor
Also a quick tidbit here:

I have a checking account under a certain naming convention, utility bills under another and credit card under third one. All are the same except for dashes that join either my 1st and 2nd name or my 1st and 2nd surnames. MY SSN only matches one of these but my account has had all of this info since about 7 years ago and recently it came up in the radar of somebody to further check.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

does the name on your SS card exactly the same as the name on your PAYPAL account?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The issue as nothing to do with Latin American naming customs.

PayPal is a U. S. company and must comply with legal name requirements as with the financial industry.  Names must comply with legal name issues not some regional customs.

Login to Me Too

Guarocuya
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all 3 who replied. The issue as some of you were imagining, having a PayPal name such as John-Albert Smith and your SSN being registered as John Albert Smith. Basically this and PayPal cannot do anything until somebody from Risk, in the US, under very specific working hours, manually reviews it due to PayPal outsourcing this SSN check to a third-party company that only runs checks.

I am not the only facing this issue as confirmed with the Risk dept. Apparently many arab names also run into this issue with dashes and hyphens.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.