charge of $21.85 for RoyalShave/notebook purchase despite lack of funds

alba66
New Community Member

I ordered a shaving kit and a notebook that were on sale on 3.8.18.  I did not realize my checking account was depleted.  Yet despite that, paypal charged my checking account with American Savings bank and I was charged $30 overdraft penalty by my bank and $5 a day thereafter until my account was replenished by my social security direct deposit stipend.  I was docked $155 by my bank today for that imbroglio.  I consider it was remiss of paypal to garnish money from my account despite there being none.  I had no idea that paypal would charge in spite of that fact.  eBay or Amazon never process an order unless it is solvent.  I explained that my account would be solvent on the 3rd of each month and not before. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

christyd68
Contributor
Contributor
If I may, I want to answer this post; and hopefully be able to explain it as understandably as I can. PayPal is not responsible for any NSF/overdraft fees that may occur in the process of purchases made, by you, for any item and/services. You add your own money into an account, to be used for payment the same way you would a bank account. You added your PERSONAL BANK ACCOUNT to PayPal as a "back up funding source". Doing this, YOU AGREED that PayPal will use YOUR bank account to cover ANY puschases YOU CHOSE to make; as using your PayPal is SAME as if you were making the purchase directly through your bank. PayPal will not check if funds are available in your back up source. They are a financial institution that provides services that allow people to sale and purchase items worldwide; no matter what the currency. They're a "bank" with extra benefits! :). You are responsible for making sure YOU HAVE FUNDS, whether in your PayPal account or backup funding souce,your bank in this case, available to cover purchases BEFORE they are made. When you buy, PayPal checks if funds are there; if not they deduct from your bank. They are not like eBay and Amazon. These are 3rd party sellers where people add items, and others buy them. You use PayPal as the "bank front" instead of paying with your personal bank information. It's LIKE you paid directly from bank account; but items are covered better if any refunds are needed. You are responsible to have funds available on any purchases you make. You are responsible for the NSF fees due to lack of funds at the time of purchase. You AGREED when you opened the PayPal account and added the bank account as your payment source. Sorry that hurt you financially for the month ; I understand as I've hit the NSF 2 times in a month since I'm on SSDI also. Hope this helps and hope I was able to use the right wording. Good luck
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.