Scams Against Ebay Sellers

oilcity1900
Contributor
Contributor

On 12-10 2017 I sold an item on Ebay for $175 plus actual shipping. The buyer submitted a best offer which I accepted. The buyer paid me. I bought a prepaid shipping label with insurance from Ebay. Then I gave the buyer a partial shipping refund which they accepted with no questions.  I shipped the item to the address Ebay gave me on there shipping label. On 12-14 -2017 the buyer receiver there MTH Wabash train locomotive. The tracking number from the USPS proves this.  On 3-1-2017 , about 11 weeks after the sale, the buyer notified PAYPAL that the sale was unauthorized and he wants his money back.   So PAYPAL has now given me  a negative balance of -$182.10 on my PAYPAL account.  HOW CAN THE BUYER STATE THAT IT WAS NOT AN AUTHORIZED TRANACTION WHEN YOU NEED MULTIPLE PASSWORDS TO COMPLETE THE EBAY AND PAYPAL TRANACTIONS? The item did go to the sellers address. I did notify Ebay which has all the details of this transaction and they told me through an email, I did nothing wrong an I should not have to give this buyer his money back. I have not heard back from PayPal yet but I still have a negative balance on my account.  So will I have to give this buyer there money back while they still keep the item I sold them and now never got paid for?  Or will PayPal take the negative balance off my account?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@oilcity1900

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed, if they find it was authorised then the claim would be closed.

However you would not lose out either if they won as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, so your best bet is to go and read up on it to make sure you were covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

oilcity1900
Contributor
Contributor

BUT... How do they hack BOTH Ebay and PayPal accounts to do the transaction? As it takes both... Remember, that they are 2 separate companies...  And what good is hacking someone's account when the item purchased was sent and delivered to the buyer who is stating that it is an unauthorized transaction? This buyer also accepted a partial shipping refund off this "supposedly" unauthorized transaction... 1 day after they paid for it... And they got that...  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@oilcity1900

Exactly so Paypal may well find against them as the unauthorised transaction is wrong?

I can only tell you how it works, i don't make any decisions thank goodness.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.