Scam offer up?

Jrobber06
New Community Member

Seems like this is a scam waiting to happen, anyone else think I should stay away from this one?

• Judy  48 minutes ago
    Hello Jesse do you still have this lens for sell if yes kindly get back to me with your phone number for quick text Judy
  • ME: I do have the lens still but for right now I'd prefer to keep conversations through this app. What questions do you have? and What do you have an offer?

• Judy  29 minutes ago
    Alright i dont have any problem with your asking price do you have a paypal account that i can send funds to?
  • ME: I'd prefer to do cash at the time of sale as paypal takes a fee from me. Is that something you are okay with? I am willing to meet in a public location and allow you to test the lens if you wish.
  • ME: However, if cash is a deal breaker then I can do paypal, I would just ask for a slight increase in price to cover the fee

Judy 6 minutes ago
    Am outta town so i cant meet up and pay by cash delivery so you will be mailing the camera directly to my cousin as a gift in Alabama and i will be covering the shipping fee so you can easily set up a paypal account at paypal . com its free to set up and let me know once you are done setting up the account okay
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I think it's really important to be firm and very committal with responses--the word "prefer" means you are open to negotiations.  Much better to reply with a statement such as "I will ONLY accept cash payment at time of pickup by the buyer".  This makes it very clear what you will accept.  You could then state, "If you agree with my terms, please let me know."  If you get another reponse, then ask for the potential buyer's phone number and residential address.  If you get that, then make a phone call after veriifying location of address.

In your case, it is an obvious scam and you carried on the discussions way to long, each time showing you were realy interested in a deal.

Login to Me Too

Denmark1
New Community Member

Using PayPay to receive payment for an item you sell on Offerup is not a scam.
When someone pays using PayPal, you don't ship the item until PayPal has put the money into your payPal account. If you don't have a PayPal account, you can set one up for free.
You can figure the total amount of payment needed by adding the price of the item, shipping cost.
PayPal charges the seller 2.9% of the selling price, plus $.30 cents per transaction, which is a very small fee for using their service!

Login to Me Too

Frisco415
Contributor
Contributor
Offerup, letgo and craigslist sites arent meant for paypal transactions. Technically you can accept it but I wouldn't advise it. That story posted is a SCAM. I've had 5 in the last 6 months all refusing to speak on the phone, meeting in person and all of them say they want me to send the item out of state or overseas and they want to know that i have paypal. Furthermore, if what I'm selling could be bought anywhere, why would they offer to pay extra for shipping OR even more ridiculous, them offer me $100 above my $5 selling price. Hmmm. My used phone case for $105 when it can be bought at Walmart brand new for $15. Scam, scam scam....only a fool would follow through. Maybe you weren't aware of these telltale signs. https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/scams-on-craigslist-and-other-classifieds-websites-faq302...
Login to Me Too

DariM18
New Community Member
Normally I’d say go for it! It’s offerup and PayPal! The second best way to receive money electronically. However I just received a message with similar wording to your post. It read like this “Thank you for your affirmative reply.I don't have problem with your asking price. Would you be able to help me ship it to my sister in Georgia? I will offer you an extra $90 for the shipping. Do you accept PayPal ?” I wouldn’t trust it, but follow your gut.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.