Rent was paid using paypal, then 'buyer' disputed payment after departing and WON!

YapLay
Contributor
Contributor

I'm hoping someone could  she some light as I was scammed out of my rent money when I subleased to a tenant and they insisted on using paypal.  I agreed then when they left, they disputed the amount on paypal.  I got a lawyer and sent paypal the lease and letter from my lawyer and paypal ruled in my favor. The 'buyer' then opened a chargeback dispute.  I sent ALL of the same material to payal who became the liaison between me and the 'buyer's'.  They went in the favor of them, not me, even though our lease was legally binding and I included texts and emails from my subtenant/buyer referencing their stay.  Small claims can't guarantee I can get the money from these scam artists and the lawyers fees will be way over the amount of the rent and can not be claimed in a small claims case.  Any advice out there Community?  I can't believe there is no protection for me, another paypal customer.  It makes it seem like anyone can scam using paypal because its so easy.  

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you took the time to read and underdstand PayPal User Agreemenrt you would have known that there was NO SELLER PROTECTION FOR VIRTUAL ITEMS (services).  You were the one in position to INSIST on cash payment by the tenant.

Unforrtunately your lawyer didn't take the time to review PayPal policies.

PayPa only provides protection as listed in policies.  You lose as you didn't comply.

PayPal does not enforce your legal documents.  How you enforce them is up to your legal counsel through regular legal channels.

Perhaps you could file a lawsuit against your legal counsel for not doing sufficient research and failing to give you proper advice in the context of PayPal policies.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@DPCreations

The lawyer did not come into the picture when he accepted Paypal payment,he came after he lost the dispute.

It is OP who should know better by reading Paypal policy

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It is easy to scam using Paypal if the recipient does not follow Paypal seller protection policy.

Ask yourself why you accept Paypal?

What do landlords do before Paypal?

plus,why would you want to take less,as Paypal takes a cut of 30 cents and 2.9% of your rent money.  

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

This is the problem of accepting credit card payments via Paypal,if you have your own merchant account,your provider will fight for you ,it will speak to his cc issuer,it will relay back to you what he has to say.

try calling Paypal again and see if they can do anything ,where did you list your property,may be the venue has something to say,

your chance of recouping your rent money is slim.

also try tracking him down,he is renting elsewhere,find where he lives and who is his new landlord

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

so this is a SUBLET,you are not dealing with a strong hand,my friend

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.