Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

dnbxdubx
New Community Member

Hello, today i almost got scammed on Gumtree. They used a fake paypal email adress. it all seemed legit, but then he asked me to send the money to moneygram and said it was needed to verify the transaction £300.00. after that i knew it was a scam! 

just letting you guys knows to be aware.

the email who was message me was <removed>

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dnbxdubx

Can you edit your post and remove that email address, only scammers use hijacked email addresses and you may be posting an innocent persons email address that they are trying to regain control of on a public board.

Glad you were not scammed, this scam is all over this forum and the internet.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

docmoe
New Community Member

I got a bogus email from paypal scam asking for my ss number, visa number etc

Login to Me Too

Seagraves
New Community Member

Customer Services (removed)  Sent me an email saying I submitted an order for $167.88 from the Shopping Channel .. I never shop on the shopping channel and hardly use pay pal.. report it to spoof and spammed them also.. Be careful people 

Login to Me Too

Vannawhite

There are so many scammer all over the net,not just paypal. I advise anyone not to order from overseas. I did one and the ring I ordered was fake when it was advertized as white gold and Tanzenite. I reported the guy and he sent me an email saying that I should have contacted him first. One dating site was the same way. This guy sent me flowers,using someone elses credit card and sent me a bottle of perfume plus 2 idential shirts. I returned the stuff to Abercombe with a letter stating that was send fraudulently and the invoice had another name on it that was not the guys name. I asked him about it and he said it was his assistant. I did not give my home address but he sent a big check to where I worked and wanted me to cash it for him. I also sent a letter to the person who's name was on the invoice. A few weeks later I got a call from a detective who was handling the case. People beware of what you put on the net and DO NOT put your name,address or phone number on any social site!!!! Plus make it to where only your friends can see your info.

Login to Me Too

saldana
New Community Member

Hello,

I received the following email, be aware!!

PayPal - Confirm your bank account with PayPal ! #1048.

Hello,On 7/23/2014, we tried to refresh your bank account (x-xx) that is linked to your PayPal account. This email is just a reminder that we are not done yet.Your information failed to be properly authorized, it has expired, or as been found to be on record  under a different account.Take a few moments to confirm your bank account. After you do, you can shop online and send money using your bank account.If your account gets suspended  a reactivation fee of $24.95 will apply if you choose to continue your PayPal Experience. When you're Verified, you can send payments from your bank account even when your PayPal balance is zero. Plus, you increase the sending limits on your PayPal account. You'll love the security, too. We don't share your financial information with sellers when you pay

Login to Me Too

jessrharvey
Contributor
Contributor

Very similiar, but I know enough about fraud

Login to Me Too

glennmac44
New Community Member

The best way to get answer to an email is to forward the email to spoof@paypal.com. I forwarded 2 emails and both were fakes! I got the answer within 2 minutes,

Login to Me Too

MAnne
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there -

I tried the same thing, but my security filter would not forward it! Said it had scam content, and the forward wouldn't go, but I had my answer anyway!

@glennmac44 wrote:

The best way to get answer to an email is to forward the email to spoof@paypal.com. I forwarded 2 emails and both were fakes! I got the answer within 2 minutes,

Login to Me Too

hunterhh
New Community Member

I almost got scammed by a western union shipping agency. Don't let them fool youHello mike, We want to inform you that the sum of $6,900.00 USD has been deducted from your buyer's account but will not be made available into your account until we receive the information or prove that the said amount of ($1,700.00 USD) which the buyer requested to be sent out to the shipper via Western Union. All we want you to do is to send us the information given to you at the Western Union Office or your Bank after you might have sent the agreed amount of money to the mover. Mover's Address Below: Name: (removed) Address: (removed) Details needed in order for us to credit your account: 1. Sender's Name and Address 2. MTCN 3. Amount Sent This act is done to protect both the buyer and seller from fraudulent activities moreover do not send the MTCN to the buyer until your account has been fully credited with the total sum of $6,900.00 USD. As soon as you send the MTCN to us,we will verify and you will receive a mail informing you that your account has been credited. We do not want any more delay in crediting your account. We hope to read from you soon. Thank you for using PayPal! The PayPal Team PayPal Account Review Department

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.