Depop Issue: Buyers Payment Method Cancelled, Item Already Shipped

Anya22
New Community Member

The title says it all. 

I use the Depop app (where you can buy and sell things). You link your Paypal account to the app, and if someone wants to buy an item, they purchase it through the app and you receive the money on Paypal.

I've had no problem in the past 2 years I've used this app. I can tell a scam from a mile away, unless somehow they've changed their tactics.

A buyer purchased a phone I had for sale and seemed totally fine. I really don't think this is a scam (even now), but basically, I didn't know that you should wait to send your item until the money is fully received. This is on me for not knowing that; I thought that Paypal held it until the buyer received their shipment so that both parties are safe - this is a dumb way to think about it now that I'm reflecting back. Anyway - it's too late now. The item is shipped and says it's been delivered. 

However, the payment that buyer used was cancelled. I had sent her a message on the app to let her know, and she apologized and said she was on hold with Paypal customer service to get it sorted out. That was four days ago and I had the phone shipped 8 days ago. Depop customer service is also very slow at responding, and I've provided them with all the proof they've asked for. The girl's Depop account has been removed (or at least that's what it looks like), so I have no way to contact her on there. I am able to see her email on Paypal and sent an invoice request for what she was supposed to pay on the app. 

I'm wondering if anyone has a similar experience with something like this. I know that buyers are normally favored over sellers, and I should not have shipped the phone to begin with. However any input or advice would be much appreciated. I would ideally like to get the phone back, and I just can't tell if this is a case of someone who used her parent's expired credit card to buy something. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anya22

You never send anything until you are paid.

If the payment is cancelled then no one can force her to pay you again.  Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.