Declined dispute with empowr

jstar4
Contributor
Contributor

The scam site empowr sold itself as a free social sharing site, but then introduced power user fees of about $6 per month or so. Recently however the site charged me $50 for apparently no reason and I disuputed it. Then empowr canceled my account when I made a complaint on their site and when they got news of the PayPal claim. Whata coincidence because now PayPal is saying that I said I made a mistake and chose the wrong account type - and therefore the charge was not fraudulent. I think empowr used my account cacellation as a way to put leverage on me to say something to them in an email then use that against me. Long story short, what I said is not what PayPal is alleging I said.

I am not just letting $50 go for no reason. What is my next step if PayPal refuses to get this charge reversed? Do I go to my bank and demand a charge back? I have PayPal credit and use Ebay and Steam. If I decide as a result of this that I can't deal with being a PayPal customer any longer, will my Ebay and Steam experience suffer?

Fact is, I got scammed by empowr. I can let their ridiculous monthly fees go but I am not going to let that one time random charge go.

Thanks!

Not standing down 

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If a credit card was used to fund the payment, you may file a chargeback with your card issuer. If you paid with debit card or bank, you might try to get them to reverse the payment.

When you link to PayPal with these third party websites, you give them permission to charge you. According to the Empowr site, basic product/services are free but if you use any option services or products, you shall be charged for them. Imho, that site is a bit on the odd side, sorta cultish to me.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

empowrsupport
Contributor
Contributor

@jstar4 wrote:

The scam site empowr sold itself as a free social sharing site, but then introduced power user fees of about $6 per month or so. Recently however the site charged me $50 for apparently no reason and I disuputed it. Then empowr canceled my account when I made a complaint on their site and when they got news of the PayPal claim. Whata coincidence because now PayPal is saying that I said I made a mistake and chose the wrong account type - and therefore the charge was not fraudulent. I think empowr used my account cacellation as a way to put leverage on me to say something to them in an email then use that against me. Long story short, what I said is not what PayPal is alleging I said.

I am not just letting $50 go for no reason. What is my next step if PayPal refuses to get this charge reversed? Do I go to my bank and demand a charge back? I have PayPal credit and use Ebay and Steam. If I decide as a result of this that I can't deal with being a PayPal customer any longer, will my Ebay and Steam experience suffer?

Fact is, I got scammed by empowr. I can let their ridiculous monthly fees go but I am not going to let that one time random charge go.

Thanks!

Not standing down 

Hi jstar4, we would love the opportunity to assist and make this right. While we are unable to locate your account information without your account credentials, if you email us at empowr support we will resolve your request within 14 hours. The email is: <removed>. We look forward to getting this taken care of for you.

Login to Me Too

jstar4
Contributor
Contributor

The reason you were unable to locate my account information is because someone at empowr deleted my account right after I made the first complaint. I have a screen shot of the emails from empowr informing me of this that shows the details of the limited interaction. 

I still have no idea why I was charged the $50. Currently I began the process for a charge back to PayPal from my Bank. If this can be resolved another way I will need details on next steps.

Thank you for reaching out.

Login to Me Too

empowrsupport
Contributor
Contributor

@jstar4 wrote:

The reason you were unable to locate my account information is because someone at empowr deleted my account right after I made the first complaint. I have a screen shot of the emails from empowr informing me of this that shows the details of the limited interaction. 

I still have no idea why I was charged the $50. Currently I began the process for a charge back to PayPal from my Bank. If this can be resolved another way I will need details on next steps.

Thank you for reaching out.

Hi jstar4,

We apologize again for any inconvenience or confusion that you’ve faced regarding this charge.  We would be more than happy to refund the charge, as well as explain the reason for the charge.

Please email us at <removed> and we will assist you as quickly as possible!

Thank you,

empowr support

Login to Me Too

jstar4
Contributor
Contributor

Email sent just now at 4:32pm EST.

I am looking forward to a human response and to move forward. 

Login to Me Too

empowrsupport
Contributor
Contributor

@jstar4 wrote:

Email sent just now at 4:32pm EST.

I am looking forward to a human response and to move forward. 

Hi jstar4 (Jon),

We were able to locate your account and the $50 you were charged has been reversed. Please allow 2-3 business days to reflect on your statement. Let us know if you have any further issues by contacting support@ empowr.com.

Thank You,

empowr Support

Login to Me Too

jstar4
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. Received.

Login to Me Too

memolli
New Community Member

They did the same to me last week.

I wished to log in to my account which I was having since mid December and hoping for a first payout - even if small, suddenly my account was no more existing. 

Just unbelievable - people should be aware that this seems to be a routine. I also had complained at Paypal with three open cases - and did the same on the empowr page, but empowr doesn't really care at all about any complaints. Its just a fake site.

Altogether I have been charged around 110 or 120 dollars. Even the <removed> doesn't really help. 

I tried all. Just be careful folks - dont fall into their trap.

Best regards

Memolli

Login to Me Too

empowrsupport
Contributor
Contributor

@memolli wrote:

They did the same to me last week.

I wished to log in to my account which I was having since mid December and hoping for a first payout - even if small, suddenly my account was no more existing. 

Just unbelievable - people should be aware that this seems to be a routine. I also had complained at Paypal with three open cases - and did the same on the empowr page, but empowr doesn't really care at all about any complaints. Its just a fake site.

Altogether I have been charged around 110 or 120 dollars. Even the <removed> doesn't really help. 

I tried all. Just be careful folks - dont fall into their trap.

Best regards

Memolli

Hi memolli,

We were unable to locate on account or information about your account based on your name. Could you please email us at <removed> so that we can ensure your situation is resolved?

Thank You,

empowr Support

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.