Can Payment be delayed

Gratters
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I've received an item but came without the authentication papers - the seller is very apologetic and has sent me them now but they are different to what is in the pics - given its a high value item, can I delay payment until I get them checked out ? Payment after delivery was in place but obviously its been delivered but I would prefer the seller wasn't paid out until I check these documents - is this possible ?

Thanks for any help

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gratters

I think you have the wrong idea about PAD.

No seller would send an item before they were paid, paypal credit them the funds as per normal and paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer from your funding source ie bank account.

With PAD they give you a bit longer ( a short term interest free loan) before they debit the funds but the seller is still paid in advance.

PAD is between you and paypal, the seller does not even know you are using it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Gratters
Contributor
Contributor

That's not correct. I know this because the seller told me they don't get the funds until AFTER delivery has taken place.

Can anyone else please help with my question

Thanks

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gratters

Having helped on here for 10 years I DO NOT post incorrect info, but if you don't believe me you may believe Paypal???????

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-pay-after-delivery-faq918/1#personal

When you use Pay After Delivery, we pay the seller right away, so there's no delay in sending you the item. We withdraw the payment from your bank account 10 days later. For transactions involving merchants located in a different country, we still wait 14 days before debiting your account. To avoid fees for not having enough funds in your bank account, please make sure there is money in your account. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Gratters
Contributor
Contributor

Clearly the seller was making it up then !

So thanks for your help - moving on can anyone provide me an answer please - if I need to determine authentication can the payment be put on ice or last resort returned until this is done ?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gratters

I will leave that for someone else to answer for you as you don't appear to appreciate me giving up my time to give you advice.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Gratters
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I appreciate any help but it seems weird a seller would tell me different.

So if someone sent me something not as described and the seller can withdraw the money immediately and lets say close their account, how do Paypal get their money back if they've refunded me ?

Also what checks if any do Paypal carry out to let someone open an account/raise an invoice

Thanks 🙂

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gratters

You have no more buyer protection with PAD than paying instantly.

In both cases the sellers are credited instantly but with PAD paypal take a bit longer before they debit your account.

HOWEVER even if the seller has withdrawn their credited funds to their bank account you can still open a Paypal dispute.

If you win then Paypal will reimburse you under their buyer protection policy.

They then put the sellers Paypal account into negative and limit its use until the seller reimburses Paypal.

If they still don't reimburse then Paypal sells the 'debt' to a debt recovery agency to try and get from their home or work address.

However that is not your problem as you would have been reimbursed.

I have been a seller for nearly 20 years and helping on here for 10 years so know a bit about how it works.

Personally and it is only my personal view PAD is a waste of time, I prefer to fund my Paypal payments via a c.c. that does give you a little extra protection if required.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Gratters
Contributor
Contributor

Right I have probably got to the bottom of this. The user HAS NOT been paid yet. I did think it was strange the seller would state this. Having spoken to paypal the reason is because it is a high worth (£9k) and therefore high risk item and Paypal add a delay to the handover of funds when the figure is high. So whilst your advice was correct there is a caveat when the amount is what they consider risky.

The seller has not yet had the funds released and this was 9 days ago now. The money has now been frozen during the dispute so Paypal came across as quite relaxed about refunding me when I prove authenticity is not genuine. 

Hopefully we've both learnt something but its reassured me anyway.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gratters

Well i haven't learnt anything as there was nothing to learn.

You were talking about PAD and so the answers I gave you were about PAD.

You said 'nothing' about the seller having the funds 'pending' in their paypal account balance, that is a completely different scenario and can be caused by 3 different reasons.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.