Buyer says funds won't go through until PayPal verifies my tracking information?

999Kevin999
Contributor
Contributor

I am selling my iPhone on eBay and it was bought by this guy. He messages me saying that he got an email from PayPal saying that my funds will not be available to me unless I can verify tracking information. I have never heard of this. Is it a scam? Should I message him i will buy a shipping label but I won't print until I see the pending funds? Below I will quote EXACTLY what I have said to him and what he said in order from what he originally messaged me. 

Buyer : HELLO I JUST BROUGHT YOUR Iphone AND I GOT AN ALERT FROM PAYPAL SAYING THAT THE SELLER WILL NOT RECEIVE THE FUNDS UNTIL THEY VERIFY YOUR TRACKING INFORMATION FUNDS WILL REMAIN ON HOLD UNTIL TRACKING IS VERIFIED BECAUSE YOU HAVE Low SELLER FEEDBACK' ONCE U HAVE ADDED YOUR INFORMATION THEY ARE ASKING FOR FUNDS WILL POST IN THE ACCOUNT NO WORRIES 🙂 IM SORRY But They need tracking in order to pay you

Me: Don t worry! I will have secure shipping AND TRACKING. I believe I will get my funds.

Buyer: Ty because they are holding funds rt nw until paypal can verify your tracking info ty

Me: Okay, so you have sent payment, but it just wont go through to me yet because I didnt by the shipping label yet?

Buyer: Correct once u have added it from usps paypal will verify it once they verify its with usps they will release n post funds in your acc but at this time tracking is def needed for them ty:)

Buyer: U wont be able to buy shipping label because they holding funds you will need to upload it on there or add it from usps

Me: Okay Makes sense. I have funds from other sellers in my paypal and I will see if I can get a shipping label through eBay. If I cant I will go to usps tomorrow. Thanks again and sorry for all this.

Buyer: Yes its not gonna let u because the money is on hold by paypal but usps site is great to thxs

Buyer: If u can get tracking tonight and post it this will process faster and funds will release soon

Me: Do you mind sending me a screenshot or a picture of what it says from PayPal? Thanks

Buyer: I have older phone im ss 

Buyer: But they need your tracking if u want to get paid so upload it tomorrow thats fine:)

Me: Okay it says I can print a shipping label now, I will buy it and once I see the funds, I send you the item and I get my money. 🙂

Buyer: I was able to get were they holding funds off my credit card and it pending 🙂 hope this helps my card info is on here too were the money is taking off *buyer sends a picture but I will not upload it here for personal protection, but it shows what he sees and that he is able to send the payment from his credit card number and his email linking his PayPal.*

Buyer: Paypal is saying you wont get fund until after they verify that u actually shipped thats why tracking is needed thats your verification add that to ebay site and they will verify and release the money if h add tracking and its not with usps they gonna hold my money until its with usps 🙂 *this line believes me into thinking its a scam*

Me: so the funds from your credit card haven t gone through PayPal, but I will soon and once I verify shipping I get the money. Alright sounds great.

Buyer: Yes my funds are pending until you add your shipping info then it will be released im all clear it you to add your info to complete the transaction thats all:) 

Buyer: Sounds great ty very much it looks very well taken of ty have a bless day:)

Me: I still haven t received the pending funds. Are you sure it went through your credit card? You said I won t receive it and I know that, but it should at least be pending

Buyer: Yes idk i was told u wouldn't see it because its not in your account pending thats why 🙂 you will see it once you have finished and completed your end 

If he can provide proof that he sent payment to me, I will send him the item, I might just buy the shipping label to see if the pending funds do appear. If they don't and I tell him and he says just send it first, then I will not send it because he will just scam me. What should I do?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@999Kevin999

A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

999Kevin999
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

He hasn't asked me about anything outside the U.S. He lives in California. I didn't get an email from PayPal say anything. Maybe he got a fake email? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@999Kevin999

He's telling you that to have your money SHOW in your paypal account balance you have to provide paypal with a tracking number, this is NOT TRUE and what scammers say.

If you are a new seller then paypal will release pending payments more quickly if you provide tracking BUT THE MONEY ALWAYS SHOWS IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT BALANCE FIRST.

No money in paypal balance = scam. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

999Kevin999
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

what should I do now? Should I tell the buyer I know it's a scam and tell him to pay? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@999Kevin999

I would just say that as per paypals advice (not mine, paypal actually state this) >  you will not be sending anything until the funds are showing in your paypal account balance as paypal does not tell you that you have to send trackable.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.