Should I file a claim?

LilBuddy
Contributor
Contributor

I reload my own ammunition and recently ordered a 2000 bullets from a company.  (Not live rounds, only the actual projectile.)

The package was sent USPS Priority Mail and was on time until something happened.  I had no idea and neither did USPS but it finally showed up about a week late.  The package was in bad shape.  USPS had actually put everything include the original box into a new box.

It seems that the can full of bullets (approx 55lbs+) had burst through the box and opened up.  I did not buy insurance.  But after some research, according to USPS policy, insurance does not cover poor packaging anyways.  I'm sure some of you will agree that a few pieces of newspaper can not properly support a large weight like that.  

Only 585 out of the 2000 bullets arrived.  I believe this is a case of poor packaging because the weight of the ammo can was not properly supported and obviously had free reign inside the single-walled flat rate box.

The seller has offered to send an addition 500 bullets, but no more.  He says it is not his fault that the package was damaged.

What should I do?  Take the addition 500 projectiles but also a loss of $90 or send everything back and file a PayPal claim?

In the picture attached below, you can see the "secure" newspaper packing material.  The corner show was actually "repaired" by USPS.  They tried to fix the original box by adding more tape to it, but eventually gave up and put everything in a new box.  You can see that the whole corner was once split.

ammo4.jpg

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

QuidProQuo
Contributor
Contributor

You should file a claim promptly.   And keep it simple or you will wreak havoc on yourself.

Under the dispute, you should choose one of the options like:  Partially received item... or, missing parts..."     I would not even go into detail about the hole in the box or the packaging.  It would get too tricky.    Just keep it simple.

Partially received items....    and provide a receipt (or email correspondence) to paypal dispute email............... (there is an email specifically for updating dispute cases and for attaching copies of emails and such but don't know what it is...I'll see if I can find it for you).............where you prove that your purchase was for a particular amount of bullets...and only x amount showed up.  Its none of PayPal's business that the packaging was the culprit.   You didn't get what you paid for.  Simple.

Then...

If seller responds to paypal about offering you 500 extra bullets, don't accept it.  Put in the dispute you want the remaining amount of bullets.  Seller will also have all emails you have sent him/her.... so be careful what you promise or say you will do or not do...and likewise.   Don't lie whatsoever in your dispute case...but just provide only the simple facts.  Then if you need to explain later that the remaining bullets must've fallen through the box, then you can say that.   But you shouldn't have to be the investigator on why ALL the bullets didn't show up.  All you know is that you didn't get all the bullets.  Period.

Login to Me Too

LilBuddy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.

I understand what you are saying about keeping it simple.

But did I mess myself up by not purchasing the insurance?

Login to Me Too

QuidProQuo
Contributor
Contributor

OK found this:  

It looks like you may want to contact USPS first..... (and very quick as possible -like on Monday!)  and file a damaged claim.

Here's a link:  http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm   (scroll down and read section 1.4, section 2.1 and....(still reading)

and based on what they say.... (like if they say because you did not purchase insurance then you can't go the USPS route)

Then you will want to file the dispute through paypal stating that the company you bought from agreed to the Terms of Service to make sure the item gets to you (The Buyer) undamaged and usable and complete.    And all that you are asking for is either A) a calculation of the amount of money the lacking bullets would cost,   or B) the number of the lacking bullets.

-------------- so those are two options----------  its either USPS or the seller.   But you are innocent.  Just be honest and start with USPS...quick phone call.  HOpe this helps.   Don't look at any of this as "a lot of work"... its your money. Your hard earned money.  It just takes 10 minutes here....... 7 minutes there......  After you speak with USPS about it, then you should have a clearer idea of whether to leave out the USPS and go through PayPal.   🙂

Login to Me Too

QuidProQuo
Contributor
Contributor

Oh , by the way , what is the company name?   Did you look at the shipping policy?  Maybe I can for you...

Login to Me Too

LilBuddy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I'll check into more info from USPS.  But it still mentions "insured"  which I wasnt.

I just found this on the website.

• Shipping & Delivery
  • At this time, ----- ships merchandise to locations within the United States and U.S. territories. The risk of loss and title for all merchandise ordered on this Web site pass to you when the merchandise is delivered to the shipping carrier.

I blanked out the name because I don't feel right putting the name out there right now.

Login to Me Too

QuidProQuo
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm I see...

SO then this is what you should do:    Never mind the fact that the box is crappy and you think that's how you're missing bullets.   You were assuming... you're not sure that's how the bullets got lost.   INSTEAD.... could it be that the seller just did not include all the bullets?  It is very possible the seller miscalculated the amount of bullets they put in the box.  You didn't get all the bullets you paid for. 

(Leave out the shipping issue entirely).    Personally, I would email them back and say they didn't include all the bullets and that any assumption made before was just an assumption.  I would say "you didn't include all the bullets in my order." 

Login to Me Too

QuidProQuo
Contributor
Contributor

And be mindful of the time period in which you can file PayPal disputes, return items to Seller, dispute claims on USPS, and more.....  

Login to Me Too

QuidProQuo
Contributor
Contributor

Hope it works out for you.  Google and search on here how you think you  might be able to win the dispute by the words you choose in your claim.

Login to Me Too

QuidProQuo
Contributor
Contributor

I would give them one more chance to fix this for you.  I would email them and say that you aren't sure why all the bullets aren't there, but you counted them and you know they're all not there.  X amount is counted when XX amount should be here.  And then I'd add that it is kind of them to offer 500 additional bullets, but you require the amount that did not show up or a refund in the amount of the missing bullets.. 

Wait for their reply.

If they will not work with you on that, then I would say something like, "Unfortunately, I will filing a report with the Better Business Bureau as well as a Dispute with PayPal and including a report through Econsumer.gov about your business and packing practices.  However, if you will provide me with one of my requests (either money or the bullets), then I will cease in reporting such things.

🙂  And please be kind to the company....  kindness gets you farther.    I wouldn't call them.  I'd have all correspondence through EMAIL!!!!!!!!  that way you have documentation.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.