My two biz acct got limited in 4 days, 1st because PP helped a scammer and 2nd for my own VPN

MJZizzle
New Community Member

Actual question: How can I get a set up where I can use a VPN to log in and not get a limitation but not when scammers do it? Also how likely is it that legal will give me a response as I am licensed if not actively practicing and not full of hot air?

Background:

This i a bit of a rant but also a question as to what I can do. I'm an attorney by trade but I moved jurisdictions and have to retake the bar and frankly, take a break. I've sold tuff on ebay, sent money, etc for a few years and all was well.

So I upgrade to business because... well I have an EIN and am regitered as an LLC now, weeee, but all of a sudden a flood of crap just comes flowing down the mountain at me, as to be expected. Last weekend someone tried to access my account and I didn't get notified for a whole 7 or 8 hours, by then they've sent an unsolicited overseas eBay invoice for 699 GBP and actually 699 GBP  for a new MacBook and demanded overnight shipping - the same model sells for 999 GBP and it was ent to me 4AM Saturday morning. Here in NY unsolicited anything given to someone to essentially force a contractual obligation turns into an unconditional gift,  but just in case I call around my colleagues and ex-colleague and mot said that there's no real precedent, but the policy would fit, because it's just the same scam where people force you toi buy CDs after they push it onto you in the street, or is that a uniquely New York thing?

Anyway, armed with my own and several other's legal judgment I transfer the money to an escrow account just in case, comingling of funds and all that, and not even 24 hours after I first consulted someone about this the guy sends me a message saying goods were shipped noncomforming and wants his moneyback. I spend an hour - should've billed him $300 for that - writing a legal response that covers all the bases saying that this is clearly a scam, choice of law in my favor in my district in NY, and he charges back and Paypal limits my account. I spend 2 hours analyzing 3 TOSes as to their enforceability and call Paypal before everyone leaves and the rep had the nerve to basically say "well that doesn't make any sense, if you didn't sell it just give the money back" when the point is that it's a scam that they send to a ton of people to incite someone into shipping one AND do a chargeback because there's no way the item would arrive on time and holding my account status hostage. But she and the supervisor basically said "tracking or chargeback" even though it's entirely against policy and law, that it is an impossibility, and I had agreed to no contractual obligation which is what an auction creates. Anyway officially under protest I withdraw from my escrow account and on the phone told the guy give me a minute and it took exactly 71 extra seconds for them to charge me a $40 currency exchange fee. I couldn't bill $40 for 71 seconds at a murder trial. BTW I didn't even get a phone call and got the unauthorized access email 8 hours late.

Also, the rep had the nerve to say that the TOS is above my state's laws. What, when did the Republic of Paypal suddenly take jurisdiction over NYC? Did de Blasio buy Paypal while I slept? The TOS is a contract that in itself has the boilerplate provisions to make it divisible so that individual sections would be rendered unenforceable without killing the whole thing, and I think breaking NY law violates #1 or #2 on their own AUP since they claim to not be agents of the person asking for the refund but acting on their own accord. Also, they define seller as anyone who had ever sold anything, so, everyone in the world.

Great. And then this morning after having internet troubles and a frivolous copyright claim that I rebuffed (that 150k student loan coming in handy)  I decided to use a VPN to keep safe becaue I suspect that something iss afoot but my ESET comes up clean, and guess what, 15 minutes after logging in I get a phone call about unauthorized access and I change my password again. So... why didn't you call me the first time Paypal? What did I do today? I paid bills and printed out shipping. Who the **bleep** hacks into someone else's account to pay the account owner's bills and do normal business stuff? Wiith your valuable surely there's some sort of algorithm you can use to determine unauthroized access via a user's CONDUCT instead of an easily spoofed IP check, for chrissakes.

Well, not sorry for the rant, mailed the legal department but I know that I'm out that $1000 becaue what kind of scammer uses their real name anyway, unverified ebay.co.uk account and I don't even have a ebay.co.uk account. BTW, anyone have any idas as to how I can not ue my real IP online but not run into crap like this? I'm just tech savvy enough to work the basics but I'm not tech savvy enough to do anything more complicated than setting up a VPN program and use it.

I know that running a small, internet and international based business has risks and I assumed some risks but I definitely had no idea that it'd be risky to the point where I'd have to actually use all the legal experience, training, and expertise, and that of my colleagues which thankfully I don't have to pay for but everyone else would, to try to even resolve a simple thing. I don't know how the rest of you do it.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MJZizzle

Sorry not got the time to read through all that.

Suggest you edit it a bit or contact customer services directly.

However from your title i will say that you are ONLY allowed 2 paypal accounts IF x1 is personal and the other x1 is business.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.