Is there a formal way to allow buyer to waive their buyer protection rights?

shiphorns
Contributor
Contributor

You're probably thinking, "why would anyone want to waive their buyer protection rights?" but I have a perfectly valid reason for wondering if this can be done. The situation is that I have something for sale (from the U.S.) and I have a very interested buyer in an overseas country that I know to be a problem to ship to from past experiences (Italy, Mexico, Spain, etc...) They really want my item, and are willing to assume all risk of shipping loss in order to have a chance at getting it.

Right now, I'm simply refusing to ship to certain countries outright, because I don't want to risk the hassle of a lost item claim. My question is, is there a way for me to offer the item to these high-risk countries, whereby the buyer can voluntarily assume all the risk associated with their local postal system by ticking a box at purchase time that says something like "I waive all rights to buyer protections and understand that I will not be able to open a Paypal claim if seller provides proof of mailing."

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Shiphorns -

This particular option does not exist through PayPal; I'm certain you can see how quickly and easily it could be abused by unscrupulous merchants if we allowed it to exist.

Beyond a pure abuse standpoint, it wouldn't invalidate a buyer's other consumer protections that are available through any other source, be it their bank or the credit card issuer. 

In the end, creating such an option could cost you more as a seller, as disputes filed directly through a card issuer are assessed an additional fee by the card issuer.  While PayPal will absorb most of this fee for you, a portion is still shared by the merchant.  Additionally, buyers will feel obligated to turn to their card companies for resolution rather than working directly with you - driving up your chargeback rate and ultimately damaging your business and it's profitability.

Ultimately, if you aren't comfortable with any transaction, whether buyer or seller, we always recommend reconsidering and/or not completing it.  You may look into our Seller Protection for some ideas on how we can protect you from a reversal and some best practices to sell safely online.

Thanks,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.