PayPal Here Questions and Troubleshooting

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone!

While the general release of this product has not yet begun, this thread is here for questions about the product. If you're in the initial limited release and have experience with the card reader, please feel free to ask or answer questions in this thread. If you have questions about how PayPal Here works, please feel free to post them here too.

Before asking a question, please take a look at the PayPal Here FAQ, and read through the previous questions in the thread. Your answer may already be available! 🙂

Feedback posts should be made in the Feedback about PayPal Here thread in the Your Voice forum. If your post was moved from this thread, please look for it there. Thank you! 🙂

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too
635 REPLIES 635

RubyRubix
New Community Member

On the PayPal site it says if I d/l the app to my phone (android), then once I launch the app it will give me instructions on how to get the free reader.  I logged in with my email and did not see anything - just my acct. activity.  There were no instructions or sign up for the free reader.  Is there something special I need to do?

I am also wondering if there is a nonprofit PayPal Here rate, or is it the flat 2.7% or the 2.2% + .30 that is the regular nonprofit rate?

Thanks,

Jill

Login to Me Too

Jonkincy
Contributor
Contributor
Is there an update for when we can expect PayPal here to come to Android 4.01 (ICS)? Been waiting almost a year now. 7 months since payal here came out. I could have went to square, but how would that be beneficial since I have a business debit card? I have the HTC Evo Design 4g for Boost Mobile. A solution is needed. Thanks
Login to Me Too

smsgarage

Is PayPal here REALLY not compatible with my HTC One S?  Good lord, I just paid $600 for this phone expressly for using PayPal here...   what in the world is wrong with this app if it won't even support Android 4.0.3?  

Login to Me Too

kleake
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else having issue with the card reader and the USCellular version of the Galaxy S3 (SCH-R530U)?  Pay-Pal is telling me the R530 is compatible, but not the R530U,,, but I don't see the difference.  I can swipe a card, and it will actually read about 1 out of 7 tries.  I have checked that it's plugged in all the way and everything should be right.  It works perfect in every other device i have tried and I have tried a second reader with the same results. 

Login to Me Too

lou1974
Contributor
Contributor

Yes got sent  a seocnd reader as well still wont work with swipes...DROID 2 GLOBAL HTC

Login to Me Too

mytake
Contributor
Contributor

I had a droid charge and the app worked about 50% of the time without crashing the phone.   The other half of the time it would force close, and I would have to reboot the phone. Very time comsuming in a high volume enviroment as a drive thru restaurant.   I got a apple iphone 4 and it is as solid as a rock.   If you want to use paypal here, It is way more stable on the apple.   think of this when you make your next phone decision.

Login to Me Too

mpalmer1992
New Community Member
Yes. Same problem, won't read it at all. Very irritating to have one of the best phones on the market and it not be compatible with basic devices.
Login to Me Too

spqr05
Contributor
Contributor

I believe others are having the same issue, so I'm posting an article. I have been using the PayPal Here reader for a few months but cannot use my iPhone or iPad case from Otterbox when I want to charge a credit card.  I spent weeks looking and testing different solutions and after several attempts I found a great solution.  CellPay 3.5mm audio extension cable is rugged and durable enough to last me the past few months where previous cables would only last days (due to poor construction / manufacturing).  If you are using the PayPal Here mobile credit card reader and want to use a protective case on our phone / tablet then purchase one of these cables https://cellpayaccessories.com/affiliate/38/node/882.

Good luck as this saved me lots of time and headaches.

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It's not just a PayPal Here reader issue, it's a problem for all readers and phone cases such as OtterBox.   OtterBox makes a great case, no question. My Square reader did not work properly if inserted like the ads show.  The solution was simple and free, just turn the reader sideways.  It does make the connection with the case on.  You simply hold the phone angled. 

Note, we have tried several cables, extenders and even some homebrew suggestions.  None really worked everytime.  It was quite frustrating.  Then one day, I just turned the reader sideways instead of parallel with the phone.  Amazing it works.

We actually purchased the CellPay Mobile Credit Card Reader 3.5mm Audio Cable Extension - Otterbox Compatible -  (male to female) - didn't work consistently, perhaps 1 out ten trys.  Also purchased an extender from Cyber Guys, didn't work at all.

You don't know until you try.

Login to Me Too

spqr05
Contributor
Contributor

I dont' understand how you put the reader in sideways with the case on? 

I had some issues with the CellPay cable but after calling them and troubleshooting I haven't had any more.  One of the issues they resolved was how to connect the reader, as it's based on PayPal Here's software.  You have to plug the reader into the cable then the cable into the phone.   If you try plugging anything into the 3.5mm audio jack with the PayPal Here app then it thinks the reader is connected, they need to fix this. 

If you have any questions call CellPay as I ran into the same thing but not anymore it works all the time. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.