Verification Question Regarding Sent USA Money to a New Paypal Buddy in Canada

computerwhiz13
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings, everyone!  I have a question about money I sent to a Canadian buddy (from USA)...He has never used PayPal before (and it's been a while for me, admittedly).  I sent him some money, of which PayPal converted to Canadian money, so that aspect is fine.  He said he verified his email address, so he's got that taken care of.  I am assuming this is all that is needed to accept money from someone, yes?  The thing is, I did it yesterday and there is nothing even pending or showing in my PayPal account activity, or my bank account activity.  It's not even acknowledged. 

One, is it normal for this type of transaction (i.e., sending to a new person, another country, etc.) to take this long to even show up as pending?  Two, does he need to do anything else beyond confirming his email address?  Lastly, he is only 17, so doesn't have a bank account or credit card yet.  That said, will he be able to USE the money I send him, online?  He plans to renew a console membership online; will this be a problem, since he is not attached to any bank account or credit card?  If this doesn't work, what happens to my process of sending him money?  Does it just dissolve/cancel over time, or...?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.  Much appreciated. Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

computerwhiz13
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  No, he has not received the money.  I sent it to him, but it is not showing anything withdrawn from my bank, nor does PayPal show anything processing/pending.  Nothing is showing on his end.  I will let him know the info you provided me, though.  I wasn't aware of the "18 or older" legality.  I'll let him know that, as well.

I cannot cancel anything, as nothing is showing for me to cancel.  I agree: Perhaps better to just wire him the money, or find some other way to get it to him vs using PayPal.  Thanks again for your help.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

AS soon as you sent the money to your friend in Canada,you PAYPAL ACCOUNT activities should show a debit transaction and if source of fund is your bank account,assuming your bank account is verified and you also have a credit card linked to your Paypal account,it should be instant bank transfer,aka ,your bank account is debited .

You said you friend in Canada has received the payment,so does he have a Paypal account or not?

Is it a Paypal email to his email address?

Then to claim his money,he would need  to open a Paypal account with that email address ,as to linking his cc or bank account,there will be a problem,to open a Paypal account,one must be 18 years old.

so,either he could live dangerously and open an account and link a bank etc and try to t ransfer the money,hoping he would not be caught until it is all done.

But then he could risk being restricted,it would take 180 days to get his money out and or til he is 18?

OR,you could cancel the payment if possible or he does nothing so it becomes unclaimed and come back to you.

You are better of sending him a postal order or intl money order or wiretransfer.

If you buy a USPS postal order for him,ask him if he could cash it in his post office,I know Canadian post office seller US$ POSTAL ORDER,so it is possible they could cash his US$ postal order from USPS.

Login to Me Too
Solved

computerwhiz13
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  No, he has not received the money.  I sent it to him, but it is not showing anything withdrawn from my bank, nor does PayPal show anything processing/pending.  Nothing is showing on his end.  I will let him know the info you provided me, though.  I wasn't aware of the "18 or older" legality.  I'll let him know that, as well.

I cannot cancel anything, as nothing is showing for me to cancel.  I agree: Perhaps better to just wire him the money, or find some other way to get it to him vs using PayPal.  Thanks again for your help.

Login to Me Too

TimePerfected
Contributor
Contributor

"One, is it normal for this type of transaction (i.e., sending to a new person, another country, etc.) to take this long to even show up as pending? "

The transaction should have shown up immediately, the fact that it doesn't means he might have not verified his email properly and that a transfer is not currently taking place. Ask him to re verify his email if that option is available.

"Two, does he need to do anything else beyond confirming his email address? " Not really.

"That said, will he be able to USE the money I send him, online?" - He would be able to use the funds whereever PayPal is accepted online.

"He plans to renew a console membership online; will this be a problem, since he is not attached to any bank account or credit card?"

Depends on what site he's going to use and if that site accepts PayPal or not. Bank account/credit card not required to operate and maintain a PayPal accnt.

"If this doesn't work, what happens to my process of sending him money?  Does it just dissolve/cancel over time, or...?"

Money won't dissolve or cancel by itself after you sent it. He either has to refund it after he sees it posted or you have to file a dispute.

Good Luck! Smiley Very Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.