Questions regarding PayPal in South Korea...

SmuggleSmoothie
Contributor
Contributor

After searching the forums for a while, I can't seem to find a proper answer, so I thought I'd ask.
I'm getting ready to move to South Korea soon, so I need to know a way that I can continue to use my PayPal funds properly.

I know that South Korean won isn't an optional payment to PayPal, and that's okay; I'm not worried about that. But I really do encourage PayPal to consider adding that as a currency as many people move to South Korea from the USA.

1st question: Can I use my PayPal business debit card at Korean ATMs?
Whether my address is still an American address or a Korean address shouldn't matter, as PayPal could assume I'm just on a vacation or a small trip & need some money.

2nd question: If I can use my PayPal business debit card at Korean ATMs, I'm guessing the cash will be in South Korean won?
It doesn't matter what currency it comes out to be, but I know that ATM machines don't spit-out random currencies.

3rd question: Can I use my PayPal business debit card at Korean stores or basically anywhere they accept cards?
I'm curious to know if it would work or not, and if it would distribute my total (in won) from the USD in my account to the amount of the total in won.

4th question: Can I still use my PayPal account itself (not the PayPal business debit card) to link-up with buying something online whether my address is still American or Korean?
You know, like, when you're at checkout on a website & it has a PayPal button to connect it to the PayPal itself.

5th question: If I connect a Korean debit card to my PayPal account, and use it to buy things, will the total from the things I buy be taken off of my PayPal account balance like the PayPal business debit card does? And converted into won?
I've heard that Korean laws won't let people link their Korean bank account to their PayPal. It would be much-easier to fetch money when needed, as you would transfer money from your PayPal account balance into the bank account, and would already be converted for you when being put in the bank account. Can someone please let me know if this law has been changed so that I can do that instead of going through other troubles?

6th question: If my PayPal business debit card is expiring soon & need to request another one, can it be mailed to me in South Korea as I will be paying the mailing fees (if any)?
Of course you can't add in your payment information right then-and-there when applying for a new one, so is there a number that I can call to assure that I can get a new one & give them my valid information to pay them to mail it to me? If that can't be done, it would totally be no problem as I have a potential solution; just thought I'd ask while asking other questions.

7th question: Can I change my address under my PayPal account settings to a Korean address, as well as my PayPal debit card address?
I've heard on a forum thread that if you're now living in another country, you'd have to open a new PayPal account under that country. However, that post was made in the year 2013 and I know for a fact Paypal has made a lot of changes since then. So, I was wondering instead of opening a Korean PayPal account, if I could just change my addresses on those two things instead.

My goodness, that is a lot of questions! I feel terrible asking a lot of questions, but I don't want to arrive to South Korea basically broke (no money) & stuck without a way to pay for things. Any help on any questions means a lot to me, and thank you!!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SmuggleSmoothie

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / and bank accounts from within that country.

You are supposed to withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts before you leave your old country. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved.

The only exception is U.S expats can add their bank accounts to other countries paypal accounts (paypal is a U.S company so they allow their citizens to do this).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SmuggleSmoothie
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, kernowlass, for the help! I got some plans arranged from the advice.

I'm still looking for answers on questions 1, 3, and 6, as I can't edit my main post & I'd rather not create a new one to annoy others. However, I'd like to reword the 1st question.

1st question: Can I use my PayPal business debit card at South Korean ATMs?

My account will be registered under South Korea, I will have a Korean address applied, I am aware of ATM fees, and I will still be using USD. However, I'm just wanting to know if it'll work at their ATMs & if the total I ask for in won on the ATM will convert that total into the USD in my account and be transacted out of my account like that.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.