HELP - "Recipient cannot accept personal payments"

JPSeve
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone, 

First off, thanks for the help, i'm new using paypal and i find myself in a bit of a problem. I've been doing some trading with steam items, and one guy (from usa) offered to transfer money to my account (argentina). However, this message popped up in his screen: "Recipient cannot accept personal payments". I've tried the other threads with this problem but i couldn't fix it, so i thought maybe it had to do with it being a new account or some other uncommon problem. Any ideas of what might be causing this? 

Thanks,

JP.

PS: I already verified the email address and added a credit card to my account.

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

How do I select a currency for my primary balance?

Here’s how to select a currency for your primary balance:

Click PayPal balance.
Click Manage currencies.
Select the currency you want and click Make Primary.

Your primary balance is your default currency. Your default currency is used to send and request payments.

Of course when money from PayPal account is withdrawn, it will be in the local currency.

Furthermore, you can also maintain other currency balances besides your primary one.

So in this case, a USD primary balance can be maintained along with say, CAD balance, GBP balance, purely for sending and receiving to the PayPal account only.

You can change your primary currency anytime by going to your Profile. Here's how:

Click Profile near the top of the page.
Click My financial info under My Profile.
Click Currencies in the PayPal balance section.
Select the radio button next to the currency you would like to designate as your primary balance.
Click Make Primary

You can transfer some or all of your PayPal balance from one currency to another.

Here's how to convert your balance to another currency:

Click PayPal balance under your profile photo.
Click Manage currencies.
Currency conversions are not available for PayPal accounts in Argentina, Brazil, and Malaysia.

And here is the whole shabang:

Working with multiple currencies

You have the option of holding multiple currencies in one account.

You can:

Open a balance in any of our supported currencies.
Make or accept payments in multiple currencies.
Convert your balance from one currency to another.
Close out your balance in any currency.

To open a balance in another currency:

Click Profile at the top of the page.
Click My money.
Click More in the PayPal balance section and select Currencies.
Choose from the list of currencies and click Add Currency.

Your primary currency – the one you use most for sending and receiving payments – is automatically set to U.S. Dollars, but you're able to change this to any currency we support. Your primary currency also defines your withdrawal limits.

When you buy something that's for sale in a currency you hold, we'll take money from that currency balance first. If there's not enough money in that currency, we'll use your primary currency balance and apply our exchange rate.

PayPal will always provide information on transactions that include a currency conversion. The currency conversion rate will be displayed each time you:

Send a payment in a non-local currency.
Accept and automatically convert a payment to your primary currency.
Withdraw funds in a non-local currency to your local bank account.
Transfer funds between currency balances.

You can go to History to review the currency conversion calculations from previous transactions.

There is no currency conversion for transactions where you:

Send a payment using a payment method in the same currency.
Receive a payment in a currency for which you hold a balance (you do not need to have funds in the currency balance).
Withdraw funds in local currency to your local bank account.

To transfer some or all of your PayPal from one currency to another:

Click Profile at the top of the page.
Click My money.
Click More in the PayPal balance section and select Currencies.
Enter the amount to convert in the Currency Exchange field.
Choose a currency to convert to.
Click Calculate to preview the conversion results.
Click Review Exchange to accept the conversion.
Confirm the transfer by clicking Exchange Currency.

Fees

Fees vary for receiving money in other currencies. For current fees, log in to your PayPal account and click Fees at the bottom of the page. Fees are charged in the currency of the payment.

To learn about fees for international payments, click Additional fees for cross-border payments toward the bottom of the Fees page.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JPSeve wrote:

I tried doing that but it was unchecked by default, here is how it looks: http://i.imgur.com/1XciLfa.png

Try selecting No, allow multiple payments per invoice ID, under Block Accidental Payments on that same settings page

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Or try sending him a Paypal invoice in US $ and see if he can make payment? 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Ashley

Hi @JPSeve

Welcome to PayPal! We appreciate your interest in using our services to accept payments! Regrettably due to different government rules and regulations, PayPal may not be able to be able to offer the same features to all PayPal account holders. At this time, accounts registered in Argentina are not able to accept personal payments (Friends and Family) at this time.

As it appears that you are performing a sale, it would be in your best interest to ask the sender to make the payment via Goods and Services, or you can send an invoice.

I hope this helps!

-Ashley 

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.