Credit Card and PayPal both charged

jackstr952
Contributor
Contributor

I recently made a payment through PayPal to a merchant selling through Ebay. I have a charge on both my bank credit card (linked via my PayPal profile), and PayPal as well, resulting in a duplicate charge. Is this common or normal, and how to I dispute one or the other?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

If this is a legitimate charge that you unauthorized then this is normal. If you select the purchase in your PayPal activity page you'll see the last four digits of the credit card you used to pay for your purchase.

The items you buy through PayPal when not paying with a PayPal balance, are paid for from your payment methods that you have added to your PayPal Wallet. If you lookup the purchase on your card issuers statement you'll see "PayPal" and all or part of the name of the person or business that you bought the item from. Seeing the same PayPal charge on both your card statement and in your PayPal account activity when paying with a credit or debit card in your PayPal Wallet, is how PayPal works. 

If you were to see the same charge twice in your PayPal account and twice on the payment method you chose, that would be a double charge. Depending on that situation there would be a couple ways to proceed.

I hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

jackstr952
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is, there is one charge reducing my PayPal balance, and the same charge increasing my credit card, so in my eyes, it's a duplicate charge.

Login to Me Too

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

It sounds like you're funding your purchase with your PayPal balance and your balance isn't enough to fund the entire amount, so PayPal is charging the remaining amount that is not in your PayPal balance, to your credit card. 

As long as the debit from your PayPal balance and the charge to your credit card add up to the full amount of your purchase, that would be a normal function of PayPal. 

If these amounts are not adding up and you're being debited from both funding sources combined, an amount more than the purchase price of the item, then you should contact PayPal support and have them look into this.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.