exceeding sending limit?

themeanestboy
Contributor
Contributor

I have the most basic of accounts, I use it to send money to and from family and friends. I have looked over my account overview and I have a spening limit of $509. This is clear. I tried to seen 200, obviously much lower than the limit, to my friend and it said i exceeded the sending limit. I slowly began to decrease the amount until I got down to 5 dollars. I am familiar with math and know that $5 is not more that $509. The message clearly says "you have exceeded your sending limit ($509)"... so why cant i send anything seeing as I have a limit established and and clearly not over my limit? 

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I think they mean a total of $509 not each time.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

themeanestboy
Contributor
Contributor

this would be my first time sending money, meaning ive only recieved 218, so theres still almost 300 dollars remaining if that were true 

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you verify your account, your limits will be lifted.  We had a friend in a similar situation, she verified her account and her limits were removed.

Login to Me Too

themeanestboy
Contributor
Contributor

yeah im not too thrilled with the idea of linking my visa with a MUCH higher limit of the 200 dollars i was trying to send. Think there would be any point in calling pay pal and asking them? or would I just be wasting my time?

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The easiest way to work with and use PayPal is have a verified account, meaning both a bank account and credit card should be linked and confirmed.  Unfortunately that does not work for everyone but it what it is.  From experience, if you called to inquire about other options, it would most likely be a waste of time.  Since the tax law changes that went into effect this year, PayPal is required to report specific info to the IRS. In the past, many people got away with earning income and not reporting it.  Things have changed.  The verification process ensures for the most part that people are who they say they are and if they make over a certain amount thru transactions, this info is now reported to the government.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

The PayPal sending limit is a lifetime sending limit for unverified PayPal accounts... it decreases with each payment you send.

Check to see if $509.00 is your current sending limit.  Login to your PayPal account and click on the "View Limits" link on your PayPal Account Overview page to see what limits you have and for instructions on how to lift the limits.

~Sandy

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

If your current sending limit is $509.00 and you're unable to send a $5.00 payment, call PayPal... login to your PayPal account, click on the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of any PayPal page and select the "Call Us" option to obtain a passcode and the PayPal phone number for your account.

~Sandy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.