Will Paypal ask me to refund the money to the buyer via Money gram?

suyuec
New Community Member

This is my story.

I tried to sell a bag on eBay, and I received an email said the buyer has just made a payment via PayPal.

However, I did not see anything within my eBay account, and the status of that selling item was still “unpaid” and I did not see anything within my PayPal account too!!

There is the email:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Seller,

This is to inform you that we have received the payment confirmation from PayPal regarding the eBay item bought from you by Hyacinth Grey (hyacinthgrey2011) We hereby approved the payment and you are to send out the item as soon as possible to the provided buyer's address.

You will have to send the shipment tracking number to PayPal for shipment verification process to take place. eBay is Personally assuring you that on confirmation of the shipment reference number received from you by the PayPal and confirmed, your money will send to your PayPal account with no delay.

Note:- PayPal new anti-fraud payment policy which we are in conjunction with, to ensure safe and smooth transaction between buyers and sellers in the eBay community.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, they are telling me that my money was on hold so I cannot see the money status. I need to ship out the item and then provide a tracking number to them in order to receive the money.  

There is the buyer's address:

Name: Dxxxxxx David

1, O xxx Street,

Lawanson,Sxxxxxxx

Lagos, 2xxxx

Nigeria.

At first, she gave me an address in US but suddenly change to this one so I changed my mind and decided to not to sell this item to him since I saw some posts said there were lots of scams on eBay and they always ask people to ship the item to Nigeria. So, I emailed the buyer and said I would like to cancel the order. 

She told me that I need to send an email to this address: PayPal a instantpaymentsservices.com and ask them how to refund the money to him since the money has been deducted from his account. (btw this PayPal email was provided by the buyer!!)

So I did what she told me and got a reply from this email very fast, like within 5 mins. They told me that they can't refund the payment to the buyer's account because the payment was sent to my PayPal account. They urge me to make a refund of C $870.00 to the buyer, After then I will be receiving my payment of C $870.00. They asked me to contact the buyer on how to receive the payment from me so they can finalize the disbursement of my funds into my PayPal account." 

WTF? I didn't receive any money in my PayPal account how can I refund the money to that guy, where does money come from? So I emailed them and ask "it suppose to show the amount that I WILL receive or pending in my PayPal account, isn't it?" They said I will not able to see any money since the money is on hold, and I will see the payment in my PayPal account when I have made the refund of the payment to the eBay buyer. I asked them how to make refund since I cannot see any refund button within PayPal page. They asked me to use money gram. 

I get confused. How is that possible? I didn't see any money in my PayPal account, and they ask me to refund the buyer? I saw a lot of different kinds of scams post which is similar to mine so I am just wondering if this is a scam too?

Can some answer it please, thanks!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@suyuec

Ignore them it is a SCAM, they have sent NO money and paypal NEVER tell you to send an item OR refund if the funds are not showing in your paypal account balance.

Also paypal NEVER tell you to refund via a rival money service eg moneygram or western union.

Delete any of their emails and ignore them there IS NO SALE TO CANCEL. 

THOSE EMAILS WERE NOT FROM PAYPAL......THEY WERE FROM THE SCAMMERS MADE TO LOOK AS IF THEY WERE FROM PAYPAL.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

suyuec
New Community Member

thank you so much for replying!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.