Visa Gift Card Error

Adorey
Contributor
Contributor

"We were unable to verify this credit card. Please check if the information you entered is correct. If the problem persists, please try to enter a different credit card."

This is the error I get when I try to add my Visa Gift Card I got a few weeks ago from Target to my account. I've used them before and they work, I emailed PayPal asking why this was happening, they said I can't add a Visa Gift Card to my account, which is bull since I've added multiple ones in the past. They then responded that I was doing the right thing by adding my card with the last 4 digits of *Won't tell you them*. I don't understand why they're going around my question, I've added multiple ones in the past and if they know the card I'm trying to add, why don't they just add it for me? This is extremely ridiculous and I've been waiting multiple weeks for my card to work. You can only register your zip code on the Visa Gift Card, which I've done. I've done the same to a different Visa Gift Card aswell, that one gives me the same error. What am I supposed to do now? I want at least one of my Visa Gift Cards to work soon, I've waited weeks.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

PayPal_Olivia

Hi Adorey,

Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry you're having problems making your purchases.

There are several reasons why prepaid cards are not recommended for use with PayPal, and you are encountering one of them. Here are a few, off the top of my head:

• A prepaid card may or may not pass validation each time the card is used. This means that some transactions may work and some may not.
  • It may pass validation once and not another time, causing the confirmation amount to go to your balance rather than the card in some instances.
  • If a refund is issued by your seller, it will go back to the card, even if you no longer have the card in your possession. Retrieval of those funds would be difficult, if not impossible.
  • Adding too many cards over time to your PayPal account can cause a lockout by our security measures.

There are a number of other reasons as well. The above list represents just a few.

If the card issuer allows you to fully register the card with all of your information, that may resolve the issue with this particular card. The name and address will have to be the same on your PayPal account as on the card. There may also be a delay time for the information to fully propagate to the validation servers, usually not more than a few days. If the card is reloadable, I recommend that you stick with that card to prevent the need to keep adding new prepaid cards.

Please let us know how it works out! If this post resolved your questions, you can post a reply to let us know, or click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Adorey
Contributor
Contributor

The error is now "This credit card has been denied by the bank that issued your credit card. For details on why your card was denied, please contact your credit card issuer's customer service department. Or, you may want to try adding a different credit card.".

I'm not sure if that's an improvement or not from the old error message.

Olivia,

There's no way to register my address further, I've registered my zip code and that is all it will let me do. No refunds either. It could be that I've added so many cards overtime to my account, but I doubt it. I've only had three or four. I've already waited multiple WEEKS for this card to validate like you said.

Login to Me Too

Adorey
Contributor
Contributor

Now the error switched back to "We were unable to verify this credit card. Please check if the information you entered is correct. If the problem persists, please try to enter a different credit card".

Still not sure what to do to get my Visa Gift Card to be added, I tried with a different Visa Gift Card I got the same day and it has the same error.

Login to Me Too

Adorey
Contributor
Contributor

I really need this card set up on my account and I've had multiple ones on it in the past, so don't say you can't add it. I tried making a new account and adding it on, it wouldn't add, same error. I know there have been people who have had PayPal employees add the cards onto their accounts for them, how do I do that?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi Adorey,

I'm sorry that you're having difficulty. 😞

A card that will not pass validation for being added is a card that would have an increased likelihood of issues down the line, of the types listed in my previous post. The inability to add the card is kind of a buffer to prevent the impact of those problems occurring.

Prepaid cards are truly not intended for use with the PayPal system. They may work in some cases, but they are not recommended and their compatibility cannot be assured.

PayPal offers a Prepaid MasterCard that is designed to be linked with your PayPal account. These cards do not present the same validation difficulties that cards issued elsewhere may. Take a look at the features - it may solve your problem! 🙂

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

CA50
New Community Member

I  can only emphasis that, had I read all the information regarding running a Paypal account in the first place , I wouldn't have had to wait until I encountered a problem with adding Virtual Visa gift card to my account. I would never have wasted weeks going round in circles attempting to do so. Perhaps an idea would be to " highlight issues involved " at the point of purchase or registering on Virtual visa sight although obviously I'm unsure how this is fed through to the appropriate organisations .However , I guess it's fairer to say if people ( self included here ! ) took time out to inform themselves with the finer details of the process before rushing forth to purchase, these issues wouldn't actually exist !

Login to Me Too

candyman3101

you can add any gift card to your paypal but first you have to call the cards number ask to change the card to your name and address then from their they use 1 to verify your account wchich takes 3-5 days to verify. only thing i havnt been able to figure out is how to withdrawl the money to send to a different paypal account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.