STILL says my refund is on hold .... All the while also telling me refund is complete????

Beckhill
New Community Member
I made a purchase from Best Buy online and paid using Paypal, but once I got to the store to pick up the merchandise decided to upgrade to another product instead. The merchant did a refund immediately back to Paypal (less than 3 hours from the time the initial purchase was made) and my Paypal account says the refund is complete but then further states my funds are on a temporary hold. I need my money, how long does this hold last and why? Best Buy refunded the money back same evening it was taken from my bank checking account. And from what I am seeing on here the funds whoever they DO become available will still have to then be transferred from Paypal to my checking account, creating yet another several day delay. I will NEVER use Paypal again to pay for things online, ridiculous and smells slightly of a scam for use of your money.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

This arises because your seller has refunded you before your initial payment to them has cleared from your bank to PayPal.

When you sent your payment, the money is not instantly transferred from your bank account to the recipient’s PayPal account. Instead paypal instantly credit the recipient's PayPal account on your behalf and simultaneously request the same amount from your bank account to reimburse themselves.

It takes 5-7 business days for the money to arrive from your bank to PayPal (same timeframe and method as an eCheque in fact). If your Instant Bank Transfer is refunded, this refund cannot be completed until paypal receive the money from your bank to cover the original payment paypal made.

A ‘Temporary Hold’ is ‘Placed’ on your refund while your bank processes your initial transfer request. When paypal receive the money from your bank, it will be credited to your PayPal balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.