Refund fee for buyer.

scope1992
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to know if the Buyer has to pay a fee for getting a full refund some a seller? I was suppose to receive $160.33 but only received $153.78, as 6.55 was taken out of from Paypal. I want to know why the buyer has to pay for the fee, and not the seller, especially in my case, as the seller has sold me a defective merchandise and I have to pay myself to ship it back.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes you didn't say it was over 60 days.

But they could still have used the send money > gift or family / friends option and as long as they funded it via instant bank transfer or funds in their paypal balance then it would have been free.

If they had funded it from their debit or credit card then their would have been a small fee but a lot less than what you paid.

They must have used the send money > goods option.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

The seller did not issue you a refund.....if htey had you would not have been charged.

They must have used the "send money" option instead and paypal saw it as a payment for goods and hence you were charged.

I would contact the seller and tell him to do a proper refund and then you can refund his payment back again.

To do this both of you can find the refund option by clicking on the word "details" next to the transaction and scrolling down near the bottom of hte page and click on the word refund.

When you do both of you will have the fee paypal charged you refunded as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

scope1992
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know if the seller can refund the way you mentioned as it has been some time since the actual transaction. About 2 and a half to 3 months have past. Shipping across the world and dealing with customs has taken some time. Isn't there a time limit on when the seller is able to refund the way you mentioned?

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes you didn't say it was over 60 days.

But they could still have used the send money > gift or family / friends option and as long as they funded it via instant bank transfer or funds in their paypal balance then it would have been free.

If they had funded it from their debit or credit card then their would have been a small fee but a lot less than what you paid.

They must have used the send money > goods option.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

scope1992
Contributor
Contributor

What is the rate fee anyways for "send money > goods option" anyways? And Paypal agreed to pay back the fee so it's solved.

Login to Me Too

kb7640

So, just to clear up, when a seller issues a refund to the buyer, the buyer doesn't get charged a fee for the transaction? 

Login to Me Too

scope1992
Contributor
Contributor
Usually yes. If the seller issues a refund, the buyer gets back what they paid, and will not be charged with a transaction fee. Please note however that the refund must be issued within 60 days after the transaction as that is the deadline. Only reason I was charged a fee in this case is because shipping and returning the product took more than 60 days.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.