Payment Pending

crashingwaves
Contributor
Contributor

Canadian here... sent a CAD$ payment for some high value sports memorabilia to a fellow Canadian and it says 'Pending' on my end declined on the receiver's end.  Contacted support and the PayPal rep says its due to OFAC but none of this occured in the US so why is US law being applied to a Canadian transaction?  

it better go through or returned... rep says i have to wait 24-48 hrs or contact US dept of treasury.  What a load of BS!  Mine and the receivers accounts are perfect, no issues.  I better get interest on the hold!  I wonder if this is even legal?  Would not happen if I did a wire transfer.  

I dont understand why these potential issues dont come up as warnings?  PayPal support was completely useless too.  

Paypal... If you are listening... the quality of your service has really dropped and this is not a good thing when the competetion is getting stronger by the day. (Google Wallet and Apple Pay) 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal IS a U. S. corporation so it would be expected that U. S. regulations.

Also, you provided details about the product or the regulation, so it's not possiblt to speculate.

Login to Me Too

crashingwaves
Contributor
Contributor

Then why do I log on to a 'PayPal Canada' site and... why does it not mention anywhere in the User Agreement or during the transaction that I am subject to US laws.   

I did mention what the 'goods' payment was for.... sports memorabilia.  I also mentioned that the payment was pending due to a OFAC reiview... and the reseason I did not mentioned a specific 'regulation' is because as I was not provided one by PayPal.   They gave me zero reasons why this was pending and I only determined it was OFAC releated when I called PayPal support.  The support person was pretty much useless and could only say OFAC... no reasons why and no contact or way to provide information to speed up the review process. 

If I am being subjected to an OFAC transaction review then why isnt the communication from US Dept of treasury?????  The only thing that I see is PayPal holding my funds.  If Paypal intent is to be honest (which I can respect) then I should be able to see the communication with the US Dept of Treasury and deal with them directly.  Wouldnt that be the legal way to do this?   

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You didn't mention the seller nor details about the goods.

Login to Me Too

ShiraYuki
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If a payment is under review or pending the transaction is considered to be a high-risk transaction (possible large amount of money , etc).

The review process usually takes less than 24 hours, although this timeframe can extend to 48 hours. I advise to just wait.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.