Not Receiving Payment Until Item is Shipped...

morgansmadcool
Contributor
Contributor

So I received an email from paypal explaining that I have received the funds of the amount that this person owed me. 

But when I log into my actual paypal there is no money in there yet??

The email also stated that I have to: 

send US tracking information to Paypal Support(service@pay-palsupport.com). 

and that:

The Funds will clear into your account as soon as the item is delivered to the address provided below.

Is this true???

I'm so confused!

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

living2simple
New Community Member

That's very funny. I'm having a similar situation. I've tried selling a laptop on craigslist and a buyer wanted to buy it since Sunday. They havn't replied until today, January 2nd, and said they sent me the payment on PayPal. They said it will be in my spam box so I kind of find that suspicious for some reason because most of my messages are placed in my inbox. When I went into my account, there would be a payment pending. The message said I had to have a tracking number sent to a random email address in order for me to receive the full payment. I didn't even have any money to send the shipment which made me come here. Good thing I did look this up or I would have lost $350!

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi living2simple

Thank goodness you did come here!

Login to Me Too

confuseduser22
Contributor
Contributor

So, unfortunately....this JUST happened to me and I DID send the item. Alright... I got scammed out of a beautiful ring for $415. What do I do now? Is there anything I can do?? 😞

Login to Me Too

MEnd
New Community Member

This is very scary.  How creative have people gotten on scamming people out of money.  I just had this happen to me today.  They gave me some story on how they were paying an extra 700 bucks onto my paypal account so I could pay the shipping company for picking up the chairs I was selling.  I got many (at least 6) other emails from a fake paypal account assuring me the money was there, and that it would only show pending once I sent a copy of the western union transfer sent to the shipping company.  Then and only then would my account show this amount pending.  Too many emails, poor grammar and typos clued me in that this was fishy.  So I came here to see what's up, and sure enough.

Thank you all for posting about this!

Wish paypal would do something about all these paypal emails going around that are fake.

MEnd

Login to Me Too

enarose

I didn't get that email but ebay says that the payment is being processed but paypal says there is no transaction. What is going on? The buyer says they paid but there is no money. I diddn't send the item when they first bought it beacause I had been scammed once on a trading site and didn't want to chance it. Any ideas what is going on?

Login to Me Too

eagletn
New Community Member

Simple question: When a buyer says he has just sent the money via paypal, is there a LAG before it shows on my payments page? I am not shipping the item until Paypal shows receipt--

Also, I assume that "PENDING" means that they have the seller's money but are not releasing it to my account until the deal is consummated. Right?

Login to Me Too

malditame

I posted my spare used mobile phone in ebay for a cheap price. I decided to sell them online since I'm not using it anymore. A certain Jennifer emailed me and asked me if it is stil available. Since I'm new to this I got thrilled that someone is interested in buying my item. On one of our email exchanges she told me that it should be shipped to Nigeria. She gave me a name, address, and a telephone number. She also told me that due to the nature of her work (taking phone calls), she cannot check the item by herself and would want to buy my item for her cousin in Nigeria.

I thought she just wants to buy the phone right away and she hasn't had the time to haggle for the price since I too, being an online buyer does not haggle for the price most of the time especially if it falls under my budget. I even told her that the shipment is higher in price than the actual item. I even offered to buy a new battery and charger (since it is explicitly stated on my add that the item does not include a charger and battery needs replacement) before shipping with an additional cost of course.

Then I got this email from paypal, stating that they have received my payment and they will hold on to it until I email the tracking number. Since I was a new seller and it's my first time to receive a payment thru paypal... I thought everything is still okay. The letter also told me that I should ship the item in 12-24 hours. So I immediately went out to find a courier. The first courier I was about to send the item did not accepted my package because the lady said we will be having a problem because of the battery. Not sure the reason behind this so I immediately emailed Jennifer back asking if I can just ship it without the battery and give her a refund for it. She immediately replied and said she talked to her cousin and said it is okay. 2nd courier I asked wants me to include the official receipt, and I don't have that being a small scale seller. 3rd courier I asked made me aware about the SCAM. He said they have several customers who are a victim of that scam so I immediately called off the transaction and searched online. There I found out that I was about to be trapped on this scam and I could have lost $210, instead of earning a little amount of money, I will be losing part of my allowance.

Jennifer still insist me of shipping the item, she even mentioned that it will be hard to reverse the payment. When I asked her where she's from and why she's so interested on my item which will also not work in Nigeria since they have a different service provider... that's when she only stopped replying to my email.

Whew... Thank God I was saved by the courier man. I had doubts early on the transaction but convinced myself that I'm new and may not know some of the process. Lesson learned: Search online first.

Login to Me Too

NutmegCT
Contributor
Contributor

Be real careful.  Always send a PAYPAL Invoice/Statement to buyer's email address to document the item you are selling even if buyer says "they'll send payment via PAYPAL' before you have had a chance to issue buyer an invoice/statement.  This keeps a record in PAYPAL - and always check to see if buyer if PAYPAL verfied.  NEVER - NEVER - EVER click on a link in your email address. Go to PAYPAL site directly and log into your account to see all your activity.  I thought PAYPAL was initially great - we'll see -- it seems that they favor the "buyer" in disputes.  Just be sure to respond to PAYPAL if a buyer ever makes any claims.  Save every piece of paper generated for a PAYPAL transaction, photos as well because there are quite a few buyers who are unethical - many good ones too.

One more thing - never issue a refund until you get your item back in the same condition as you sent it.  Always take pictures before you send it and include them in your email to buyer.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.