How is a refend processed and how long does it take?

edison1973
Contributor
Contributor

I received a refund from the supplier and got an email saying that trans #1TR51468.... was refunded.  I have not received anything from Paypal.  Where is this money now?  In limbo?  How long will it take?  Where can I track the refund of this specific transaction

Thanks

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There are various factors that affect refunds.

If you paid with your PayPal Account Balance or your Bank Account, the refund will be credited back to your PayPal Account Balance.  If you paid with a credit card, the refund will be credited back to that card.

As for how long it takes, that depends on what funding source the sender has chosen.  For example, if the money is coming from the sender's PayPal Account Balance, the refund can be almost right away.  If the sender uses their bank account, it can take up to 4 days.  If  the sender sent an eCheck, it can take up to 7 days.

If you paid with a credit card, regardless of the funding source the sender uses, it can take up to 2 weeks for the credit to appear on your credit card statement.

Bottom line, there's no definitive answer as each scenario is different.

Login to Me Too

fallenfox
Contributor
Contributor

This is exactly the scenario I started a new thread on. Basically, why is it so easy for PayPal to withdraw from your source, within seconds when I make a purchase, and wait so long to return it to the source, AFTER PayPal has already and immediatley pulled my refund from the sellers PayPal account the instant they found out I was returning the item?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.