How do I receive money from potential buyers ?

LW314
Contributor
Contributor
I plan to sell personal items to people and use PayPal as a way for them to pay me for particular items . Nothing complicated like shipping anything to someone . Just selling personal items of mine . So what info do I need to give the buyer to get my payment ? How will I know the money cleared ? Will the payment show rite then and there as the other person is standing there ? This is my first time using paypal . As you can probably tell .
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LW314

If you are not shipping items in the post then the last thing you should be using is paypal.

If you are listing items that are to be collected you are allowed to select cash on collection on your auction and if someone pays with paypal you can refund them and re-state cash only.

There is no paypal seller protection for items that are to be collected.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

LW314
Contributor
Contributor
But paypal has the option to receive money from friends or family . You don't have to ship anything to receive money in your account . So how do I know the money came ? And what all information do I need to provide to receive money for the items I sell. I don't want to give out unnecessary information .
Login to Me Too

LW314
Contributor
Contributor
I make craft items and sell it to friends and family . I don't want to have all that money in my pocession and just have them send future payments directly to my bank account through PayPal . I told people I would be accepting paypal as my only for of payment real soon .
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LW314

All you need to give them to accept friends / family payments are your email address that is used to identify that paypal account.

But make sure they use the f/f option or if they use the goods / services one then you will get a fee and have the new seller hold applied.

Also if paypal think you are 'selling' and receiving payments via f/f then you may find your account limited.

Also you have no seller protection if you accept payment that way but if its only going to f/f members then that would not be a problem i would not have thought.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Cash is still the only safe way to sell in person and especially to friends and family.  PayPal is the highest risk.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.