How are payments applied to PP credit charges?

DataMiner
Contributor
Contributor

Since I've tried to get this question repeatedly answered by paypal PP CS to no avail I figure this is my last opportunity.  I'm wondering how payments are applied to items placed on one's PP credit account?  As in, are the oldest items on the account paid first?  I'm hoping this is the case or else it seems as if a customer uses this service over a wide enough span of time, that that customer is going to end up accruing payable interest no matter what.

So are items paid chronologically?  Or are payments applied/spread to all the items on the account at the time of the payment?  And is there any way to configure one's account, if it doesn't work chronologically by default, so that the oldest charges on the account are the first to be paid off?

Thank you for your time, hopefully somebody knows this.  Because if PP customer service does, they don't want to share that information.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

MessieBessie
Contributor
Contributor

okay,  not sure about my answer but after some thought figured i'd throw my 2 cents in.  Basically saying not sure if this is correct :).

I would think the interest is applied to the bill as a whole, not individual items.   I also work in a Vets office, when ppl pay their bill it  goes  like this...  Rabies Vac.. Flea meds, Annual check up, Nail Trim,  Fecal check Charged on a Credit Plan the vet offers...   when someone has an open "tab' and they pay their monthly statement (credit bill) ..  it goes as interest is charged monthly on the balance, so each month you pay if you pay just the minimum amount due, you're not really knocking one particular "item ie: rabies vac" down.. it goes against the WHOLE total on the Credit bill.  You know like w/any credit its better to pay more than monthly amount due, or you'll never get it paid off and if/when you do... those items have cost you 3 times (estimate) what they'd cost had you just paid outright for the  visit/bill/balance.   I would think they take a payment and just credit it towards the balance... Credit lines don't care about individual items,,... just the bottom line  YOUR BALANCE...... i  hope this helps.  Sorry its a long post, i was trying to figure out a way to explain it so  you'd understand my methodology LOL.... Take care..

here is an article i found in the "help" section of Paypal  {HOW ARE MY PAYMENTS APPLIED} * I should have read that first LOL

https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/article/FAQ2845

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Check the information on your full PayPal Credit statement (the PDF file).  It has information about when payments are due and when to pay.

There are a lot of variations, it's hard to cover all angle without knowing details of your account.

Login to Me Too

DataMiner
Contributor
Contributor

Eh, I was going to try to explain this again... but why bother.  RTFM responses are why I stopped trying to get the benefit of the experience of others on forums.  Because folks get a big rubbery one for responding to queries with RTFM answers, for the sake of boosting their forum ratings (not you Bessie, you just missed the point of my query). 

If someone else wants to read my initial query and apply a bit of that stuff... what's it called... it's rarely f'n seen these days... OH YEAH... due diligence.

Login to Me Too

Floravp
New Community Member

I read Paypal's agreement on how they apply minimum and extra payments to a consumer's credit account. Frankly, I think it's a crock of poop.  They should be applying extra payments to the revolving balance that is accruing the highest interest before applying it to a promotional balance that will be expiring up to the next TWO billings periods.  If you have a promotional balance expiring every or every other month, then you'll never pay off the standard purchases that keep revolving every cycle at 19.99%.  I'll have to check the Credit Card Act again, cause I had to argue with another creditor about this and it turned out that they had to credit me some "overcharged" interest fees.  Shouldn't we get a choice of where we want to apply our extra payments to?!  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.