Goods and Services but should have been send money

KAmanda
New Community Member

I sold an item and the lady used paypal to send me the payment.  Before she left, I confirmed that I received an email stating that I received the $600.  Now when I opened my paypal account to transfer the money to my bank, it shows I was charged a fee of $17.70.  From previous buyer, I received whole payment, no problem.  I believe this time, the lady selected "goods and services" instead of "send money".  So am I now out $17.70??? Is there anything I can do to change this without having to refund her money and have her redo the transaction?  That seems crazy.  I know now to check this or to warn someone to be certain to select the right payment method.  But for now, is there any way to correct it?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KAmanda

If you are selling items then you should be paying a fee.

She should be choosing send money > goods / services that is the correct one to use.

If she used the send money > friends / family one then both she and you would risk your account being permanently limited as it is against paypal rules if you are selling an item.

She sent it the correct way and you have paid the fee that you owe paypal for receiving the payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

EKoons

I sent a request to my sister for a gift we're purchasing together, but inadvertently sent it as a goods & services transaction. Does anyone know how to cancel/refund the transaction so I don't get charged the fee and have access to the funds sooner?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EKoons

Refund your sister and ask her to go to send money > family / friends and send it that way.

As long as she uses her bank account or funds in her paypal balance and NOT a debit or credit card then its free.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EKoons wrote:

I sent a request to my sister for a gift we're purchasing together, but inadvertently sent it as a goods & services transaction. Does anyone know how to cancel/refund the transaction so I don't get charged the fee and have access to the funds sooner?

Keep in mind that when you refund a good & services payment, you re charged 30 cents.  PayPal keeps the flat rate portion of the fee.  To refund, click on the transaction to reveal refund link.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.