Paypal fees suddenly went up

cmaai
New Community Member

October 1st, I sent $7 USD to my friend via 'send to friends and family'. The fee was $0.07.

Today october 14th, I sent $8 USD to the same friend (again via 'send to friends and family'). The fee was $2.31.

Actually, the last few payments ive sent to various people have been $2.31 and I don't know why. Why is it so expensive now? I haven't changed anything, this was money from my Paypal balance so there are no currency fees or anything. I know Paypal takes a fee, but having over $2 fees for an $8 is ridiculous.

Could someone please explain to me?

Is this new, something that affects everyone?

Thank you in advance!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

jacobstephen67
Contributor
Contributor

I have noticed this recently as well, regardless of where I send it to, the fee is always $2.31. I would like to know the answer to this as well. 

Could PayPal potentially be out a bit of money?

Login to Me Too

Viktor-Art
Contributor
Contributor

I made a post about it too few days ago.
I'm from Canada too and it's the same amount, 2.31, regardless of the entered amount.
It's like the percentage fee is broken???

I contacted them by mail more than 72h ago and still no reply, even with their "reply within 24h" thing..

Login to Me Too

Raymond78
New Community Member

I'm having the same issue you are, and I'd like to know the reason why as well.

One day sending as Friends and Family had a fee of a couple cents, the next it becomes an insane amount (around $2)

I noticed purchasing still works fine, it's just sending as friends and family which comes with the fee (Same fee regardless of the amount I send - $0.01 has a $2 fee, same with $10)

Login to Me Too

genericname3000
Contributor
Contributor

These new fees are terrible, we should not be forced to pay $2.50 for any payments under 50 dollars. We're talking about 25% fees if you try to send 10 dollars. That's outrageous. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.