Ebay Paypal Friends and Family scam

lchenri
Contributor
Contributor

Notify the local athorities and believe it or not the FBI. Ths might be considered an e crime. I too fell for this after recieving an ebay assurance and a paypal assurance that I would be protected. The theiving enabling ebay and paypal disalowed my claim after I recieved an item not as described and badly damaged. I recieved an email from PP several days ago detailing changes that they would not cover friends and family purchases for goods. The scam ebay is allowing is that a seller can create a seller account on ebay and intially have a linked account to paypal to facilitate checkouts. The seller then estalbishes the account then delinks the accounts. The seller  then trys to convince buyers to pay with family and friends. Once you pay thats it, no protection. I called ebay and paypal prior to paying this seller and was told I was protected. When the item needed to be returned the seller never responded and paypal and ebay told me I had no protection. When I called about my case being denied pp said that I had in fact been told I was protected. I had my call directed to the security where they promplty dismissed me and told me I had no protection. ebay did the same thing. They were definatelty complicit in allowing this seller to operate this way.

Ebay and paypal are lying theiving sacks of **bleep** driven only by greed.  They institute a Global shipping program that steals vat duty taxes and shells it to Pitney bowes. The fees are never remunerated to the countries they are charging the fees to. These 2 companies are the most dishonest I have ever seen on a lying and consitent theiving scale. Notify the FBI of the crime. It is definately considered an e commerce crime. I hope I can get my contries agencies to take a close look at the Global shipping thieving program.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lchenri

Family and friends payments have NEVER been covered by paypal buyer protection and there is no way that an agent would tell you that they were.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lchenri
Contributor
Contributor

Yes they did tell me that and Ebay told me that as well. When I filed a case and was told to call paypal the service agent listened to the conversation on tape that I had prior to the the purchase and confirmed the agent stated what I posted, that I was covered. I specifically asked this. Just curious as to how you seem to know what went on. I stated that I would never have made the purchases otherwise. I also have several witnesses to the conversation in question. I am ssuming you have the details of my particular case. It was not until the agent transfered me over to Security that they admitted there was an error.. Aside from this issue is the fact that EBay allowed this seller to delink their account and solicit this method of payment. If you have the transcripts of the case I would be more than happy to have you email them to me. Or your  apparent inside informtion on the conversation. As I have never used the Family and friends in the 12 years I have been doing Ebay and Paypal transactions that does not mean I cannot be mislead by a seller with 100 percent feedback and no apparent issues. I am not sure when the account was unlinked but I do know Ebay knew the seller was selling without the proper proceedures. I found this out after they checked into the sellers account. I admit they were good about not being pleased with that move.

Also I am not the only one this has happened to. If you work for PayPal I understand the motives behind your post. But in the future I would respectfully request that if you in have no facts into my particular case you refrain from analysis of something to which you in fact have no knowledge about at all.

Login to Me Too

lchenri
Contributor
Contributor

One thing that was curious is, I recieved an email of Policy updates from paypal dated June Ist 2017. My case was filed June 07 2017. The policy update read that any goods or services purchased under the auspice of Family and friends would not be covered by paypal protection I also read of a .5 increase in the foriegn exchange rate. What the curious part was that I did not actually recieve the email until my case was filed. I called ebay about this policy change and they did not or at least said they had not heard about it. The policy stated that the changes would take effect immediately and obviously be retroactive.

Login to Me Too

lchenri
Contributor
Contributor

It is very unfortunate that my post is  be nuetralized by a "volunteer moderator" . There are no facts to back up any of the comments. I noticed the same thing on EBay. My post outlining specific issues to my specific encounters are either deleted edited or debunked by trolling moderators. There is no way these trolling moderators will know anything about the details of a case unless they have access to the transcripts of your case and the recordings of your conversations. On one particular incident a poster was debunked for saying that ebay and paypal process global shipping fees for Pitney bowes and recieve a percentage or stippend from the service. The poster was quite clear that the items they purchased were not subject to vat, duty tax or other additional handling fees.   The buyer had been collecting for a number of years and the postage was 10 to 12 dollars at the current rates . The poster also illuminated that the calculation of the basic postage was 40 percentage higher in estimation than actual postage. The country of origin to which the parcel and items were sent had no knowledge of any form of remittance to thier treasury. The withholding and charges of fees and tax without remittance to the country is an ecommerce crime. Whether you opt in or out of Global Shipping is irrelevant. There are custom scales that determine the value of an item for destination countries. I know for a fact that the items this individual collects are not subject to tax and duty, they are excempt.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lchenri

There are ''volunteer advisors'' on here and ''paypal moderators''.

The moderators that ''work'' for paypal are the only ones that can remove posts on here.

The rest of use are just ebay or website sellers that volunteer on here and when we have helped a lot we get advisor status.

But as this is a ''user to user'' help forum then we do not have the ''power'' to remove anything.

If you want to find out if that is true then stay and help out for a few months and then when you get made an advisor you will see that what I have said is fact.

Personally as I have nothing to do with paypal I really could not care less what you ''think'' about them, I just post the FACTS as they stand whether I agree with those facts or not.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

lchenri
Contributor
Contributor

So it appears that your motive is from a sellers point of view. Again I restate you have absolutely no facts regarding my case but the first statement you made was a statement of company policy.  It may be the policy but that does not mean that someone did not make a mistake. This is not just for sellers. This is an important place for issues to be revealed. It would certainly be beneficial if you actually knew what you were talking about before spewing the company policy. I think we know what the policy is now. That does not mean that operators cannot make mistakes. So with all due respect, do not comment on posts to which you have no facts. Those are the facts as I have stated them regarding my case. If you do not have access to the actual conversations and corespondence dont comment! The seller I dealt with clearly unlinked his paypal  account from his ebay account and then solicited a family and friends payment. EBay continued to let the seller sell even though they admited this was the case. As long as the 2 (PayPal EBay) got their fees and exchange skim they do not care what happens to the buyer. I read about buyers crying all the time that they always get ruled against. There are hundreds of posts about the bad buyers always winning. That is always from the selllers perspective. As I buyer I know this is false. I have the facts to prove that as well.

Login to Me Too

lchenri
Contributor
Contributor

What ever type of moderator you are the fact remains you have absolutely no facts concerning my case just policy.

Login to Me Too

lchenri
Contributor
Contributor

Just one other point to kernowlass. Again with all due respect. I dont want nor do I need advise on being a moderator a policy troll or any other advise from you. So as my post does not violate any other issues but speakes to a specific topic please keep your advise to yourself and troll another post.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lchenri

So you post a thread and then when you get a person that disagrees with you your response is to become abusive and rude.........guess that shows your level of intellect doesn't it.

May also explain why you think that sending money to a ''family member'' or a ''friend'' is the same as sending to a perfect stranger for a payment for goods.

What part of this was hard to understand which is clearly stated BEFORE you select it?

Been like that for YEARS so there was no way you were told it was either new policy or did not apply.

Even a novice has sussed that one.   Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.