Zip code error when trying to sign up for a PayPal business account

Ebergrund
Contributor
Contributor

I try to sign up for a PayPal business account from a European country where I reside and from where I conduct my business. I have a business registered in Wyoming, with a Wyoming address as principal office and mailing address. When I try to sign up for a PayPal business account I enter the US address and zip code of my business but I can't sign up. I get the 'Check your zip code' error.

Probably PayPal thinks my business is located in Europe and expects an European zip code, while my business' zip code is American. I can't enter the zip code of my European town since the official address of my business as it appears in the Articles of Organization is in Wyoming. Also I'm not 'engaged in a trade or business' in the USA, as I don't have any office or employees or physical presence in the US, so I don't think changing the country to USA in the first step of the sign up process is the correct solution. I'm a foreigner living outside the USA and I don't want to open a US PayPal business account, since all my activities and residence are located in Europe. Also the debit card that I will link to this PayPal account is a European debit card.

So, my question is how can I get over the zip code error and sign up for a PayPal business account as a European resident with a business registered in the USA ?

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It would be an address error; you need to use a European address for your business account which is in Europe.

PayPal is country-specific and does not operate cross-border companies.

Login to Me Too

Ebergrund
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, but if I use my European address for the company which is registered in Wyoming, how can I verify my PayPal account if the account gets limited? I will send my Articles of Organization to PayPal and it will be noticed that the address in the Articles of Organization is different from the European address used when signing up.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You are just begging Paypal to restrict your account !

Search this forum,there is a Israeli precious metal dealer who has a US company,collected $10k and Paypal wants his company registration,his SS number,invoices from his vendors and list of his vendors.

He has no SS number,he is not a US citizen or resident,he does not live in USA,the last we heard is him getting a tax number from IRS.

Another is an Australian precious metal dealer who has a brick and mortar business and its own website in Australia,sold on Ebay and collected $80k with Paypal,his account was restricted and have to hire a lawyer to retrieve the fund,now Paypal has shut down his account.

Without Paypal,he cant sell on Ebay,as he is based in Australia and his merchant account to accept credit card would not work with any of the 3 gateway processors on Ebay.

Start a business in your own country!  

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Ebergrund

Your business must be in th e same country where you have your PayPal account.

When you get to the point where you can't verify your account beause of coutnry issues the result will be a limited account with eventual parting of ways.

Login to Me Too

Ebergrund
Contributor
Contributor

@DPCreations

My company is already registered in Wyoming but all the business activities take place in Europe where I live. If I make a PayPal business account with the European address, as I want and as it's supposed to be, I won't be able to verfy my business account later, because in the documents of the company, the address of the business is in Wyoming.

What should I do?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You have 2 options.

1.  Designate a person in the U. S. to open a U. S. PayPal account and use that account for the Wyoming business.

2.  Find a different payment service which might allow cross-border finances.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

what is the reason of registering your business in WY,USA?

You are a foreigner,you live in Europe and conduct business in Europe,would it be better to register your business in the country where you reside?

PAYPAl customer service is not that great,the staff is not that well versed with intl law and cross border transactions,and Paypal robots and risk models constantly look for potential flaws and fraud.

If they target you,they will ask you to present documents ,restirct your account and lock up your money 180 days,do you want that? 

Paypal is not for you,find another payment processor.

Login to Me Too

Ebergrund
Contributor
Contributor

@lancelotme & @DPCreations

Thank you for your answers. As I understand, PayPal requires every business owner opening a PayPal business account to be located  in the same country where the business is registered. So, if you are a, let's say, French citizen living in France, with an LLC registered in Delaware, USA, with a Delaware principal office address, you cannot open a PayPal business account.

While I understand PayPal's reluctance to deal with cross border businesses, this situation is not convenient to me.

It would be interesting to know what will happen if I change the principal office address of my business to the European address from where I conduct my business. I mean an official change of address by filing the appropriate documents. Will this be acceptable to PayPal ? Will PayPal accept a European PayPal account of a business registered in Wyoming, if the business has on file the European address as principal office address ?

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

search this forum of an Israeli businessman who is not a US citizen or resident,managed to start a company in USA years ago,and now law has changed,he is asked by Paypal to submit his Social secuity number which he does not have.

we are not paypal,contact Paypal and ask the.

Paypal also has to comply with Euro zone law ,any euro paypal member receiving over 2500 euro dollars have to submit documents about themselves.

I dont know what will hapen if you being a FRENCH citizen running an American business with principal office in France?

what happens if they  try to find your company and it is not registred in France?

what if they look under USA and find your company but you are not  a citizen of resident of USA?

BETTER ASK AN INTL LAWYER.

I would stay away from Paypal and find another payment processor, 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.