Why am I being charged the amount I paid for something weeks ago?

JisooK7909
Contributor
Contributor

I'm being charged 139.27 for a payment I made about 2-3 weeks ago where I was scammed that money. I opened a dispute and it ultimately failed because my transaction history seemed in line so I wasn't given my money back. The dispute took longer than usual so Paypal "put" the money into my paypal balance. The thing is my account isn't verified so money couldn't be put in it. After a few days, they told me that it was in line with my transaction history and took the money back. The thing is I never had any paypal balance in the first place so now their pretty much taking money that I never got.I was trying to buy an online currency for a game from someone on a game forums. He told me to put money into his account so and he would give me the virtual items afterwards. After I sent the money he immediately started messing around saying he gave it to me even though he didn't. He also taunted me on how I got scammed. So I opened a dispute and everything in the earlier sentences followed. I'm making a new post against because I made one two days ago and have also contacted paypal support and neither have gotten any responses which I'm getting super irritated about.

Login to Me Too
26 REPLIES 26

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What was the balance of your PayPal account before you made these transactions?

There were to payments, each with a refund, and then a payment completed for currency.

How did your balance change with each one?

Login to Me Too

JisooK7909
Contributor
Contributor

My paypal account was 0 ever since it was made until it was charged for the money that was sent to compensate that I never received. My account is unverified so I'm not allowed to put money into the balance of the account. Everytime I paid for something on Paypal, it always came directly out of my credit card.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

OK.

For the first transaction money came from you credit card to the game company; that was refunded to the credit card.

Repeat for the second transaction.

Finally, the payment to the currency web site was from you credit card.  During the dispute that should have been held by PayPal until resolution.  Losing means the funds go tot he buyer.

Your credit card account should be down by the $139 and you PayPal still at zero.

If not then give chronological transaction listings with balances.

Login to Me Too

JisooK7909
Contributor
Contributor

yeah exactly. My paypal should be 0 but they removed the money they tried to send to me for compensation for the extra time so thats why my balance is negative 139. Theres nothing I can do but wait for a response from paypal? 😕

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal doesn't give you compensation for extra time.

If PayPal took money that was temporarily given back and then took it back your account would still be zero.

This means you need to look at the transactions in your credit card account for information.

What are they and how does the balance change for each one.  Your credit card balance should be down by $139 from when you started.  Is it?

Login to Me Too

JisooK7909
Contributor
Contributor

No, its not like that. They "tried" to put money into my account for the case taking longer than usual. My account isn't verified so no money can't be put into the balance. I double checked my credit card and I can't see that they put it in my credit card. They just tried to take it out of my paypal balance since they apparently gave me the money temporarily even though they didn't

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What are the specific three transactions in your credit card account.  You stated the funding for your purchases comes from your credit card.  So there should be three transactions there.  What are they?  And what are the refunds there? 

Without seing the details there is no way to have an answer.

Login to Me Too

JisooK7909
Contributor
Contributor

The first and second one were payments sent to another persons paypal which were both refunded. The second one was to the company of the site I used to pay the guy with paypal on. The refunds are the same amount as the amount I paid. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

OK, this tells me the third purchase was not from your credit card as both of those have associated refunds.

So, the third transaction--the real purchase for currency--was from your PayPal account, not from your credit card.  For this reason your PayPal account shows the $139 debt.

Login to Me Too

JisooK7909
Contributor
Contributor

Your missing the point... When I payed the guy on the website, it took 139 out as payment from my credit card already, not my paypal balance. Paypal sent me the amount of money I was trying to dispute for since the case was taking longer and I never received any becuase my account is unverified. I've been saying that for like the past few messages. They took the money out of my paypal balance which was 0 since I didn't receive any money nor did I ever put any money into paypal. Every transaction is paid with my credit card. I can screenshot the part where it says I paid 139 in May 5th. They paid me the compensation on May 15th. My balance was still 0 and no money was received on my credit card. On the 22nd, the case was closed and they tried to take the 139 they attempted to give me but never got. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.