Client has conned me - Yet paypal are in favour of con artists

justsomegirldk
New Community Member

So my story is this.

I'm a small business, I make and sell dance costumes online for clients worldwide with no issue.I've never had an issue with PayPal nor have I had an issue with clients.

A client came to me and asked for two tailor-made costumes totalling 890.00 GBP.She explained it was a lot of money for her to pay in one go and asked for split payments via invoice.That's where the first alarm bell went off for me.But client knew a mutual friend and other client so I said sure it shouldn't be an issue.I issued the invoice and put it in split payments she paid 445.00 GBP and was due to pay the other half before delivery of the outfit.

I spent 4 weeks making the costume, I spent just over 200.00 GBP on Rhinestones and feathers for the outfits.

The day comes where the client is due to make the second half of payment and client says no, she is unwilling to pay and that she wants a refund...

Now under EU laws which can be found here http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm it states that you do not offer a refund for a custom made item such as a tailor made suit etc ... which is exactly where I fall into my place. 

I offered as a gesture of good will a 10% refund but no ... 

Anyhow client puts in a claim to PayPal saying she has not had said item... of course she hasn't as she has not paid for the costume!! what on god's earth makes people think that someone would ship an item before paying.Especially a rather gorgeous hand rhinestone and sequined dance costume.

Anyhow, I provided evidence to PayPal who did not clearly give a toss and they went in her favour.

Has anyone had this happen to them.I am very willing to go to a small claims court for the full amount from the client and to go via PayPal legal section if need be. Because this is beyond stupid.

My account is now in the red and I am very very unwilling to use PayPal again as my main means of payment platform for my business. 

Or if someone from claims can look into this that would be marvellous! 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

there is no buyer protection for customs made goods if buyer files item not as described,but in your case ,it is item not received.

Paypal is not a good payment method for deposits.

You can appeal,but I doubt you will win

Login to Me Too

justsomegirldk
New Community Member
Yeah, sadly there isn't which for people like myself is pretty poor.
I will appeal no doubt and go to the small claims court if need be. but I just find it kinda of sad and dishonest that PayPal allows this.Its like a scam system...
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.