collecting customer phone number

hypoallergenic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there

I need to collect the customers telephone number at time of checkout, I am using an ecommerce package with preset buttons which I cannot change so don't know if the number is collected. Would Paypal automatically collect the number and if so how do i get it displayed on my payment received information email.

cheers.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

hypoallergenic
Contributor
Contributor

Guess nobody knows the answer to this one then?

Login to Me Too

waterlogdaily
New Community Member

I don;t know how to get this from a paypal payment. However, if you are printing shipping labels with ebay or USPS Click and Ship, if you click on the edit button for the customer's shipping address, you will often find the customer's telephone number. The only other way I know is to go to a site like Switchboard and do a reverse address search for the phone number or Google the address and zip code. All of the above a hassel but hopefully it will help.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Great suggestions waterlogdaily. 🙂

The phone number may appear for some shipping addresses if the buyer includes that information when entering their address.

There is an option in the PayPal profile settings to require a phone number during a PayPal checkout.  This is located under Profile -> My Selling Tools - > Website Preferences

When you click the "Learn More" link, the website displays this information:

PayPal provides merchants with the buyer Contact Telephone Number as an optional feature. In accordance with our User Agreement, merchants may only use this Contact Telephone Number to communicate with the buyer about the related purchase. This number may not be used for unsolicited commercial messages.

Merchants can choose to make the Contact Telephone Number optional, required, or turn it off. Off is the recommended default option because buyers value their privacy and prefer to keep unsolicited communications to a minimum.

I hope this helps. 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.