Spam email or not?

StevesGirl
New Community Member

I got an email titled "**** You are 100% Secured with Us***"  The email states that my payment is on hold and they are verifying the shipping information they received from me. After they verify tracking the payment will be released and available through paypal.

Has anyone else gotten this email??

At the bottom it says signed by Scott Thompson and there are mistakes in the grammar of the email. Also it tells me to "direct all inquiry" to "Pay Pal email account @ inbox.lv"

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

First, did you recently make a payment for something?  If not, just ignore.  If you did, then does it make sense?  You need to match the email details with reality.  If they don't match, then ignore.

Next, check our PayPal account activity and messages.

You could do an internet search for the e-mail addres to find other problems.

You could look at the email full header details to see what route the e-mail took.

What does the email ask you to do?

Login to Me Too

StevesGirl
New Community Member

I sold an old wedding ring for $850 and i wanted payment to post not only in my palpay account but in my personal bank account before i just ship it out to them in NJ. We have been texting back and forth and again the grammar is not perfect. They requested USPS shipment so i did Click and Ship online to print a label and scanned that to them. They mentioned the money would be on hold until paypal receives tracking information then the payment would be released. Again, i sent them the tracking number but post-dated the shipping date for tomorrow and i'm not shipping it until i receive payment.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Looks like a scam.  Hopefully you did not ship and you promptely get a refund for the shipping label as you only have a few hourse for that.

I see some very high risk information right from the start--information that invites scammers:  old wedding ring for $850.  Selling online is asking for scammers.

The only safe way to sell such as rignt is accept CASH for payment.

Where are you listing the rigng for sale?

If you would sell, the best way is send a PayPal invoice with all details including metal content, gemstone certifcation, and more; but it's still high risk of loss.

On the other hand if the local retail selling price of the ring is much lower, then you could be scamming buyers.

Login to Me Too

StevesGirl
New Community Member

I have it listed on Craigslist as "White Gold 14k Wedding Ring with Engagement Band, 1-1/4ct Sz 7".

I listed text as an option for my contact so we've been communicating back and forth. They asked for more pictures like the ring on my finger, etc. I bought the ring for $2300.00 from KAy Jewelers but with the marquee being out of style, I figured i would accept a discount. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

In my opinion selling jewelry on Craig's list is an invitation to be scammed.  Internet sales and shipping for jewelry from Craigs list is a further invitation for scam.

Cash only for local pickup.

What you paid for jewelry is irrelevant to the used jewerly market. In reality there is HUGHE markup on jjewelry at the retail level.

At our Monday market event we sell next to a coin dealer; he goes to shows for wholesale and buys/sells locally.   Sometimes he finds jewelry at shows and since they don't fit his market it will sell them to me at melt value.  What happens with used jewerly, uneless antique, is that the metal has more value than the stone unless you find someone who really wants the piece.  This meens a person needs to look at it in person and just fall in love with it to pay more than melt value.

So, here's were I would start.  Weigh the ring.  If the ring weighs 5 grams at 14K solid gold, that would be 3 grams of gold or 3/31 grams (Troy ounce) = 0.096 Troy ounce.  At $1224/ounce, that would be a melt value of $118.  As an online buyer that's what I want to know.  Anyting over that will be obviously an emotional price paid by buyer.  There is no way an online buyer will be able to perceive the ring at a much hgiher value.

If someone offers $800 I would see this as a seriou scam. Those in the jewelry scam business now how to work ont he seller's emotions to accept an inflated price than then get a refund later AND keep the jewelry.

So be very, very careful with online jewelry sales.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.