Should I keep a balance in my paypal account if my PayPal account is connected to my bank account?

LucyAlice
Contributor
Contributor

I am a new Etsy seller. I am set up for buyers to pay through PayPal. Currently, I have around $200 sitting in my PayPal account. My PayPal account is linked to my bank account, which has been verified. Since that is the case, can I withdraw/transfer the entire amount to my bank account. In other words, is there any reason to maintain a balance in my PayPal account?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

tech-party
Contributor
Contributor

No there isn't, since any of your purchases can withdraw money from the bank directly via eCheck, but keep in mind that these can take some days to clear:

"eChecks take 3-5 business days to process"

Cheers

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

LucyAlice,

As a follow-up to your question.  As the other poster stated, there's no requirement to keep funds in your PayPal Account Balance as you have "verified" your account.  It's up to you if you want to maintain a small balance or none. 

Here's a few tips as to how PayPal's funding process works, this can help you decide how you want to manage you funds for payments.

PayPal will first look at your PayPal Account balance, if you have insufficient funds, PayPal will then take the funds from your Bank Account.  PayPal will do an instant transfer from your bank account assuming you have a current linked and confirmed credit card.  If the card is not current or no card, then the transfer from your bank account to pay for the purchase can take a few days, possibly up to 4.

If you have a credit card and no bank account, then the credit card will be used. This all happens assuming you don't elect to choose a funding source. Note, If you have both a bank account and credit card, you can choose to pay with your credit card on the PayPal Checkout screens by using the pay with another source option. There you can select your card from the dropdown.

It is possible to pay using the funds in your Account balance and the remainder with a credit card however, you must first elect to pay with your credit card. Your available balance will be used up and the remainder is charged to your card. As this now looks like you've sent a single payment, you remain eligible for Buyer Protection. You would not be eligible for Buyer Protection, if you paid for the item with two separate transactions.

What you cannot do is split a single payment between 2 bank accounts, 2 credit/debit card accounts or a bank account and a credit/debit card account. In addition, you cannot split a single payment between 2 PayPal accounts.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.