Sending A Payment As "Goods" Vs. "Gift"?

SpongeBob1234
Contributor
Contributor
Hey guys, A few days ago I sent someone $220 to buy some vintage video games. I sent the payment as "goods" since that's what I'm paying for, but the guy said that I need to send it as "gift" instead. He tells me that since I sent it as "goods", the payment will remain with a "pending" status and he cannot access the money and I will be able to "charge him back" at any time. So I need to take the money back and resend it as "gift". Can someone please explain to me the difference between the two methods of sending the money? Also, I see no possible way of taking the money back myself. Is there a way to do this, or will the guy have to send it back to me? Why is it that this is happening just because I sent the money this way? Has anyone else heard of a problem like this? Thanks for your help, guys. 🙂
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sorry but there is NO WAY you should agree to his request.

Firstly there is NO BUYER PROTECTION if you send the money as "gift", once he has got it he does not need to send you anything and there is nothing you can do about it.

Secondly the fact he is doing this is worrying as that is how a lot of scams work.

Thirdly the fact his money is "pending" is not your problem. You have paid. If its pending then it means he is a new seller and the funds are pending TO PROTECT YOU. As a new seller they hold funds from buyers so the seller can't withdraw them to his bank account, then if you have to file a dispute paypal can return the funds to you.

Tell him you have paid > he must either send the item or refund you but you are not going to be sending him a "gift"..

A gift payment is used when you are eg sending a birthday pressy to a relative etc and not when you are buying good from strangers.

If he refuses to refund you then you have up to 45 days to file a dispute with paypal for non receipt of item. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.