Selling business-how to transfer email address to new owners PayPal account?

Vivaspan
Contributor
Contributor

Im selling my business (sole proprietorship) in less than two months. We have about $20K per year in online sales and the email address will go with the sale. How do we transfer that email address/account to the new owners? They have their own PayPal account so it would just be a transfer of the email address attached to my account and then close my account. Ideas?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

notknot123
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to buy a business that has an existing account. Did you ever get a reply to this? Did you resolve the issue yourself?

Login to Me Too

Vivaspan
Contributor
Contributor

I havent received one reply so I still dont know how to do it.

Login to Me Too

notknot123
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying 🙂

I emailed paypal who answered by saying they won't talk to me about opening an account if I don't already have an account!!!

I have asked again and I'll let you know if anyone sane or that gives a hoot about customers replies

Login to Me Too

Vivaspan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for letting me know that. I will call them too as the seller and ask.

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal won't allow the transfer of an email address from on account to another.  The person purchasing your business will have to have a new email address.

Login to Me Too

skwillis

Ownership of a paypal account can be transferred,  it just takes some paperwork. Add the email address for the new business to your account under profile, then follow these steps to transfer ownership (this is how we were told to transfer the account from my husband to me for our business):

You can change the contact name on your Business account. The contact name must be your name, not your business's name.

To process your name change request, we require additional information. Please provide:

• A letter requesting the contact name change for your business account. Please specify the previous name on your account and the new name to be added to the account.
  • A valid photo ID for the new contact person. Acceptable forms of a photo ID include a driver's license, passport, or any other government-issued photo identification that includes their date of birth.
  • Proof of Social Security Number for the new contact person. Acceptable documents of proof include a copy of the new contact person's Social Security card, pay stub, W-2, or IRS Statement, providing they show the full social security number.

One of the following acceptable forms of Proof of Business Information that includes both the business name and the new contact name:

• Articles of Incorporation
  • Current business license
  • Any business documents/forms approved by and filed with the business's governing state
  • A bank statement for the bank account registered on the PayPal account
    **If the documentation above does not display the name of business and the new contact person, a name change authorization is required additionally. The Authorization letter must contain letterhead, company stamp, and signature of Director/ legal authorizer.

After you gather this information you can change your contact name. Here's how:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click "Profile" near the top of the page.
  3. Click "Update" beside "Business information."
  4. Click "Change Name."
  5. Select "Business Name Change (change contact name)," and then click "Continue."

You can upload or fax your documents to us. To help protect your information, we cannot accept files sent by email attachment.

Here's how to upload your documents:

1. Click "Upload Files."
  2. Browse for the file you want to upload and click "Attach this File."
  3. Click "Send Files to PayPal."

Here's how to fax your documents:

1. Click "Continue to Fax Cover Sheet."
  2. Enter your name, a brief description of your request, and how many pages you are faxing (include the cover sheet as a page).
  3. Click "Print Page."
  4. Fax the documents to

Should you need further assistance, please let us know. You can also reach us at  Login, Click "Contact Us", Click "Call Us" during these hours:

4:00 AM PT to 10:00 PM PT, Monday–Friday

6:00 AM PT to 8:00 PM PT, Saturday and Sunday

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.