I'm being forced to login twice... every time, from every device

HaveAnEpiphany
Contributor
Contributor

No matter what device or browser I use, I'm forced to enter login information a second time. I've cleared cookies, used different browsers, and I'm having the same experience on mobile or desktop.

Often, I see the "You must log in before you access this page" error after the first login attempt.

This happens if I'm just logging in to check my account or if I'm in a checkout process.

The second time I enter my details, I'm always logged in. I'm not entering anything differently -- email/password are correct. I'm not seeing any errors related to incorrect login details. I just have to do it twice. Every time.

Any ideas?

Login to Me Too
136 REPLIES 136

manucpa
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't work for me...sent me right back to https://www.paypal.com/home

Login to Me Too

HaveAnEpiphany
Contributor
Contributor

@CapTex wrote:

The problem is with the URL you are using to log in. If you use this url, you'll only have to login once. I created a bookmark with this link and it works great.

https://www.paypal.com/signin/?returnUri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.paypal.com%2Fmyaccount&state=%2Fhome

What this does it tell PayPal to redirect the browser to the /myaccount home page after login. If you're being forced to login twice, this is the URL that PayPal is giving you for the second attempt. By going to the URL above first, you basically jump past the first login and go right into the second one.

Well CapTex, you got me excited!

...until I read the actual solution you proposed. The URL has never mattered, unfortunately.

All the same, I tried it. Made no difference. Was immediately redirected to login again. <sigh>

Login to Me Too

CapTex
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm.... it's working great for me everywhere. I'm using SMS verification. Are you using Verisign? If so, look at the URL that you get for the second login, and try using that if it's different than the one I posted.

Login to Me Too

CavySpirit
Contributor
Contributor

Not working for me either. Had tried the alternative url from the get go. It's kind of an obvious thing to try as a work around really. I haven't found any url that works. Not from any step along the way or mucking around with parameters. All behave the same way. 

Login to Me Too

Poonie
Contributor
Contributor

Did not work for me either. The URL shows up but then I get directed to the normal login page.

Login to Me Too

pwsowner
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't work for me the first time, so I waited a few hours and tried again and this time it got me in on the first attempt.

Login to Me Too

pwsowner
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't work for me this time. I never have a problem with the APP on my cell, so I'm guessing that's the problem. They had to alter the programming to keep up with the times. Something went wrong and they're having trouble fixing the browser problem without interfering with the APP.  Might not even be working on it any more. APP works. Who cares about browsers, right.

Login to Me Too

Poonie
Contributor
Contributor

This problem is still happening as of March 2016. So two years after users started complaining about it they have not found a fix? How stupid can their programmers be? 

Login to Me Too

brianjackson
New Community Member

This has been happening to me for months. I also can't add money from my verified bank account. Support is a joke, even filed multiple BBB complaints about bank issue. Their programmers are a joke and have no idea what they are doing.

Login to Me Too

componentman
Contributor
Contributor

Bumpity bump. Until it's solved. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.