Handling Fee separate from shipping charges

CheeBonnet
Contributor
Contributor

How can I add a separate handling fee to shipping charges? During warmer weather, I have to ship my product with additional packaging, but I want it to appear as a separate charge from the normal shipping charges for each region. How can I accomplish this? It would be a flat fee for all regions.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Welcome CheeBonnet! 😄

If you're invoicing your customers, you could add a separate line item for that.  If you are receiving payments on your website and using standard PayPal buttons, you'll need to set the handling variable in the PayPal button code or in the advanced variables section under Step 3 of the button creator.

If you're using a 3rd party shopping cart, it may be easier to see if they offer that feature so that you wouldn't have to update multiple buttons.

It might be easier to just include it as part of your shipping calculations and disclose on your website that a flat fee is added to shipping rates so the customer would know what to expect before being redirected to PayPal for payment.

I hope this helps! 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

fsdcinc
New Community Member

what exactly do you have to input in that advanced area to get the handling fee to be applied - and where do you attach a cost to it?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

@fsdcinc wrote:

what exactly do you have to input in that advanced area to get the handling fee to be applied - and where do you attach a cost to it?

If you're putting it in the advanced variables box it would be:

handling=5.00

If you're adding it to the code (for a non-hosted button), it would be:

<input type="hidden" name="handling" value="5.00">

Keep in mind that this is item based and not quantity based so if somebody clicks a button with handling, they can add as many quantity as they want and the total handling (for that item/button) will still be the initial amount you set.

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.