Fake Ebay Auction paid with Paypal - I've been scammed - Now what?

Vwbernie
Contributor
Contributor

Ok after all of these years of being with Ebay and Paypal, it's finally happened. I've been scammed and am not quite sure where (if anywhere) I can turn for retribution so thought I would ask here first.

I was on Ebay looking for this particular item. I found it for a screaming deal. That should have been my first clue but I had a weak moment and did the buy-it-now. My second clue was that I never got an e-mail from Ebay that I had won an auction and it never showed up in My Ebay which I thought was kind of weird but thought it might be a glitch. Anyway, I paid for it with Paypal Connect account. I have now received the item and it's a fake too! It all just keeps getting better doesn't it? Anyway I would like to call someone's attention to it and auctions like this on Ebay because there are others on there now like it from other sellers. The seller for my auction is no longer a registered user (imagine that). In my defense I did check feedback for this seller before buying the product (around 122) and it was mostly all positive with one or two neutrals.

I would love to have my money back since I didn't get what I expected but since it was a fake auction, I'm not sure if I should start with Ebay first or Paypal. Help! 🙂

I might have put this in the wrong catagory but since it's about Ebay and Paypal this seemed as good a spot as any.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Vwbernie,

Oh no!  The good news is that you have full coverage under PayPal's Purchase Protection program - you can file a dispute on the item by either going to Resolution Center and clicking on "Report a Problem," or just by reaching out to us via phone - click on "Contact Us" and select help via phone.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

willchan11
New Community Member

Adrian,

What if I made a sunglass purchase in 2009 and found out they are fake? The purchase was paid through a credit card via PayPal. Is there any way to get it resolved through PayPal? Thanks.

Will

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JasonD
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Willchan11

Sorry to hear about the problem you had with your purchase from 2009.  As protections through PayPal, the claim must be filed within 45 days of the transaction.  As far as protection outside of PayPal, due to the time frame your options may be very limited, but recommend that you try contacting your funding source to see if there is any protection that they could offer, other than that the only option I could recommend is pursuing the seller directly.  I wish you the best of luck with everything though.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.