sent money phone number because it registered but there is no account

LizzyLabradoodl
Contributor
Contributor
I sent money to my friends phone number because her name popped up when I put it in the search bar. She does not have a PayPal account though and the resolution center is god awful. They only give three options for a problem and my problem did not fit one of those so I chose the closest one and then my claim was closed because it didn’t fit one of those three things. I wound up paying twice since I still owed my friend money. Now PayPal owes me but won’t refund it back to me.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LizzyLabradoodl 

If you sent the funds to someone with the same name as your friend and you sent it using the friends/family option then sadly paypal would not be able to help you.

Its always best to check with the recipient there correct phone number or email address before sending the funds as by using the friends/family option you are sending a 'gift' of money to someone and so will not have buyer protection. 

You can't open a dispute for a friends/family payment unless you choose 'unauthorised' but that would not work as you did authorise the payment and your account was not hacked and the transaction made without your consent.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LizzyLabradoodl 

If you sent the funds to someone with the same name as your friend and you sent it using the friends/family option then sadly paypal would not be able to help you.

Its always best to check with the recipient there correct phone number or email address before sending the funds as by using the friends/family option you are sending a 'gift' of money to someone and so will not have buyer protection. 

You can't open a dispute for a friends/family payment unless you choose 'unauthorised' but that would not work as you did authorise the payment and your account was not hacked and the transaction made without your consent.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.