cancel?

AHHIYAWA
Contributor
Contributor

Hello there. I bought a pass for 3 months in a dating APP. i CANCELED MY ACCOUNT ON THE 3RD MONTH. However, I noticed they kept charging me and i contacted customer service asking for refund. They replied they can NOT REFUND ME because I did not cancel 48 hours before the renewal day (which I did not remember when it was). They should have asked me if i wish to renew, or to warn me somehow. Also, today I checked on my account, they are going to charge me also for next month! Help! I want to stop this. Any help???

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AHHIYAWA 

Cancel the automatic payment from your PayPal account:

An automatic payment authorises a merchant to charge you whenever you make a purchase on their website without signing in to your PayPal account. This is something that's set up on the first checkout with the merchant. The terms of the authorisation will be available in your PayPal account.

Here’s how to find your automatic payments on the website:    

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Click the Payments tab.
  3. Click Manage Automatic Payments.
  4. Click on the hyperlinked merchant name you want to cancel.
  5. On this page, you can cancel the automatic payment and/or change the backup funding source.

Here’s two other things you can do to try to completely sever the link between you and the merchant:

1. Go to  Settings.
  2. Click Data & Privacy.
  3. Select Permissions you've given to keep track of the data and permissions you're sharing with the apps and sites you use.
  4. Check if merchant is listed and remove.

Also contact customer service in regards to making sure this merchant isn’t using reference transactions to charge you.

What are Reference Transactions (tokenization)?

When you perform a transaction, you generate a Transaction ID. You can use this ID, or token, to initiate subsequent transactions, even when you're not storing the credit card information in your local database. This can save you from:
  • Having to ask the buyer for their credit card ID again.
  • The burden of complying with PCI requirements for storing credit card information.

I read that PayPal is not allowing new users for this feature but existing users are still using it.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

AHHIYAWA
Contributor
Contributor
And then? Will they keep charging me from this app? Maybe they say I owe them money? (If permitted I will name it)
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AHHIYAWA wrote:
And then? Will they keep charging me from this app? Maybe they say I owe them money? (If permitted I will name it)

They shouldn’t be. You’ll will need to talk to the merchant and tell them again to stop charging you and that you canceled your account. Worst case scenario, tell your bank or card to get you a new account because apparently this merchant don't understand the meaning of “cancel” and try to scam.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

AHHIYAWA
Contributor
Contributor
"As part of your subscription, you still have some payments to make between now and 14/05/2023, which ends the period you signed up to. The next payment will be taken on 14/04/2023."
 that is what they write on their terms, now I checked. However no one asked me if i want to renew, they charged me although i cancelled. 
"

6.3 Right to cancel straight after Purchase

Subscriptions start upon Purchase confirmation. Pursuant to applicable law, you have 14 days starting from the day following a Purchase to exercise your right to cancel it (without giving any reason), by filling out the cancellation form available here or by writing to the email address listed in the ‘Requests and Claims’ section below. The refund will be made within 14 days from the date we were informed of your decision to cancel and will be processed on the same Payment Method you used for the original Purchase.

If you connect to your account and use the Services before the end of the cancellation period, this first log in following the Purchase of a Subscription constitutes an express request by you to have immediate access to the Services, for which you will be charged.

You can find additional information on the Help page about the scope and application of your right to cancel."

I discovered this one , noone from customer service told me these. Anyway, I understand I will be considered as "owing money" even though i cancelled

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.