SCAMS!!! Don't Ship to Nigeria!!!

Lady_Bug71
New Community Member

A big thanks to the security and protection team at Pay-Pal, and to those of you who were unfortunately victims of these scammers... who posted your stories and saved me the hastle.  Thank you Thank you Thank you!  

Today, I joined pay-pal.  My son has decided to sell some of his old video games... and we posted in our local classifieds  last night.  Early this morning, I got a text from a very impatient man going by the name of Eric.  He was in such a rush to buy using either pay-pal or western union, and once a deal was made, the "buyer" actually added money to the total to help with shipping costs to his son's address.  When I asked for his son's address, he avoided the question, until receipt of a "pending payment" from him was emailed to me.  It was at this time that I learned I would be shipping to NIGERIA!  The email said that the payment was verified, and all I needed to do was enter the tracking number of the package for the funds to be released to my pay-pal account.  The buyer then started pressing me to get the package into the mail... kept asking when it would happen... kept saying he needed to hurry and pay... I kept wondering why such a hurry since shipping to Nigeria was going to take a couple of weeks anyway.   All of the sudden, this man started calling me... stating that he was calling from Pay-Pal and that I needed to enter the tracking number as soon as possible, and wanted to know when I would be sending the package.  He called from an international number, with a thick accent.... and at first was hard to hear/understand...  He must have called 15 times... in a row.  Each time, the part I could understand was him saying he was calling from Pay-pal to make sure I entered my tracking number.  One of the last times he called... I told him I could hear all the screaming kids in the background... but couldnt here him... and he hung up.  He called back moments later... and the background noise was completely gone... but again the message was the same.  I told him that I was at work, I couldnt continue with his interruptions.... and I would send the package asap when I got home... and not to continue calling. Then the texts kept coming... so I asked via text are you the one who is trying to call me?  Stupid man... sent back a text saying he was, but had a bad connection.... and to enter the tracking number asap so that I would get my money from pay-pal.  

Suddenly... nothing about this deal felt right.  First off, I felt like I was running a race... and almost being harrassed about this tracking number.... secondly, I caught that the purchaser who was texting me was also the one trying to call me and was claiming on the phone to be working for pay-pal.  For some reason though.... It wasnt until I was looking up online the instructions on how to write the address for nigeria.... that I began seeing the forums from previous Pay-pal customers who sent packages under the same circumstances... their packages got held up in customs, and they were being asked to pay money in the hundreds of dollars to clear the item through customs.  Many had written that they just wished they had verified things by calling pay-pal security... so I did.  I have since called of said transaction and will continue to try and sell my son's old games... to someone NOT in Nigeria.... and NOT trying to scam me!!!  According to the pay-pal employee that I spoke with.... anytime they start brining up western union, or Nigeria, or especially anytime your payment is being held for a "tracking number" it is a red flag for a scam.  She educated me that pay-pal will not hold money until items are shipped.... and if this happens.... its a scam.  

Thought I would share.... previous posts on this subject (from a couple of years ago) helped save me tonight.... hoping to help save someone else a headache... trying to pay it forward!!!!  🙂

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

omgi2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information this has happened to me on at least 3 of my sales.  I thought that was just the items I was selling was the target. 

Login to Me Too

vogueshare
New Community Member

Cat HappyI have to be careful, Thank you for sharing.

Login to Me Too

okxokay
New Community Member

Thank you for share with us.

*link removed*

Login to Me Too

petbcr
New Community Member

Funny... JUST happened to me. I sold some things to Nigeria and they were requesting a tracking number and all that so i scanned then information. I just hope they can't use that information to get into my banck account. Just remember, paypal doesnt' need proof of shipping.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone,

If you have received a request from a buyer in Nigeria, I recommend reviewing this thread about a common scam. The things mentioned mentioned here lead me to believe the contact you received may match the scam. PayPal does not offer services in that region, and Seller Protection only applies to items shipped to an address registered with the PayPal account and specified in the transaction details. 

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Edit 10/11/2017:

At the time of this post, PayPal did not offer services in Nigeria. PayPal does now currently offer service to buyers in Nigeria. Please continue to proceed carefully, and be aware of common scams. Thank you!

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

elmoelmo
New Community Member

i wish i would have seen this befor friday i wish i would have checked more into it. i was just scammed this is exactly wat happen to me but this person wont tell me their name only bad part is i shipped the package i didnt know nigeria was a big scam country now this person is saying i need to pay them 135.00 i need to pay it imediatly wow let me tell you its a aawful feeling to go through this i just hope i addressed the package wrong and it comes back to me can someone help me and tell me what to do

Login to Me Too

lovevee1217
New Community Member

This just happened to me. I reported the "email confirmations' to paypal since the emails were received in my spam folder. Now i'm on the phone with ebay to report the member 😄

Login to Me Too

Miyasnana
New Community Member

THANK YOU!!  OMG, I was selling a diamond ring for $2000. He didn't tell me I was shipping to Nigeria until after he posted the money to my account, including shipping and insurance. I went to my local Aero mail and paid the shipping fees and all. The next day when I went to put the tracking # in it directed me elsewhere. I looked at the community board and seen your post. Thank you, I called Aero mail and they had still had my package with my ring.  The idiot kept emailing me this morning what is the tracking number. I  told him to get lost.  He tried to contact by another email address too. I had a bad feeling about the whole transaction and when i seen your post i knew it was a scam. THANK YOU!!

@Lady_Bug71 wrote:

A big thanks to the security and protection team at Pay-Pal, and to those of you who were unfortunately victims of these scammers... who posted your stories and saved me the hastle.  Thank you Thank you Thank you!  

Today, I joined pay-pal.  My son has decided to sell some of his old video games... and we posted in our local classifieds  last night.  Early this morning, I got a text from a very impatient man going by the name of Eric.  He was in such a rush to buy using either pay-pal or western union, and once a deal was made, the "buyer" actually added money to the total to help with shipping costs to his son's address.  When I asked for his son's address, he avoided the question, until receipt of a "pending payment" from him was emailed to me.  It was at this time that I learned I would be shipping to NIGERIA!  The email said that the payment was verified, and all I needed to do was enter the tracking number of the package for the funds to be released to my pay-pal account.  The buyer then started pressing me to get the package into the mail... kept asking when it would happen... kept saying he needed to hurry and pay... I kept wondering why such a hurry since shipping to Nigeria was going to take a couple of weeks anyway.   All of the sudden, this man started calling me... stating that he was calling from Pay-Pal and that I needed to enter the tracking number as soon as possible, and wanted to know when I would be sending the package.  He called from an international number, with a thick accent.... and at first was hard to hear/understand...  He must have called 15 times... in a row.  Each time, the part I could understand was him saying he was calling from Pay-pal to make sure I entered my tracking number.  One of the last times he called... I told him I could hear all the screaming kids in the background... but couldnt here him... and he hung up.  He called back moments later... and the background noise was completely gone... but again the message was the same.  I told him that I was at work, I couldnt continue with his interruptions.... and I would send the package asap when I got home... and not to continue calling. Then the texts kept coming... so I asked via text are you the one who is trying to call me?  Stupid man... sent back a text saying he was, but had a bad connection.... and to enter the tracking number asap so that I would get my money from pay-pal.  

Suddenly... nothing about this deal felt right.  First off, I felt like I was running a race... and almost being harrassed about this tracking number.... secondly, I caught that the purchaser who was texting me was also the one trying to call me and was claiming on the phone to be working for pay-pal.  For some reason though.... It wasnt until I was looking up online the instructions on how to write the address for nigeria.... that I began seeing the forums from previous Pay-pal customers who sent packages under the same circumstances... their packages got held up in customs, and they were being asked to pay money in the hundreds of dollars to clear the item through customs.  Many had written that they just wished they had verified things by calling pay-pal security... so I did.  I have since called of said transaction and will continue to try and sell my son's old games... to someone NOT in Nigeria.... and NOT trying to scam me!!!  According to the pay-pal employee that I spoke with.... anytime they start brining up western union, or Nigeria, or especially anytime your payment is being held for a "tracking number" it is a red flag for a scam.  She educated me that pay-pal will not hold money until items are shipped.... and if this happens.... its a scam.  

Thought I would share.... previous posts on this subject (from a couple of years ago) helped save me tonight.... hoping to help save someone else a headache... trying to pay it forward!!!!  🙂

Login to Me Too

miccay
New Community Member

Oh my GOD, thank you so so so soo much! I was looking to see how I write addresses for Nigeria & your post popped up. This EXACT thing happened to me, but I thought they were just impatient. I was about to ship it today & I'm so glad you posted. I have cancelled the transaction and told them that the deal was off. I have now posted my ad again, asking people I KNOW if they would like to buy my laptop. Thank goodness you posted! Could you imagine if I lost that laptop and got scammed?! Thank you so much ❤️

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.