Problems with USPS shipping Priority internatioanl flat rate

914rubberguy

Recently I have been having problems with USPS specifically on international flat rate envelopes. I have shipped and my customers ask where they are, and USPS has no tracking information on them. Fortunately I get a counter receipt when I ship (which sometimes takes awhile), and can prove I shipped.

I asked the local postmaster why this would happen and was told that they do not scan flat rate international envelopes.

I was kind of surprised as they had when it was received it. He's looking into it.

This is not an isolated incident for me, and I was wondering if any others were having the same issue?

This has been occcuring more frequently for me and I hate charging my customer for a priority product and not even being able to prove I shipped it - online.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

postalchart_com
Contributor
Contributor

There is no tracking on the Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes or Small Flat Rate Boxes. They work the same as First Class Mail International.

They will scan it as accepted at the counter but you definitely would not receive updates such as, when it leaves the United States, when it arrives abroad, and when it's delivered.

You can add Registered Mail service to all the shipment types I mentioned above for $11.50 and get tracking and $46 insurance.

Login to Me Too

hayleyzip
New Community Member

I've had the same problem recently.

Yes, I could add the registered mail service, but who is going to pay an additional $11.50 for shipping?  That makes it over $20 to Canada and over $25 for other international, no one I know will.

Login to Me Too

ApexPredator
Contributor
Contributor

This is relevant to my interest as I have lost / been scammed out of every order I have shipped internationally by them claiming they never received it.  I'm not talking third world countries, I'm talking UK, Spain, France...

I've since stopped shipping internationally; any suggestions on best way to ship T-shirts?

Login to Me Too

postalchart_com
Contributor
Contributor

There's two options, if you cannot accept the risk of loss or the lack of tracking updates on First Class Mail or the under $20 Priority Mail International services:

Either 1. Charge the extra for a trackable service - Registered Mail or the over $20 Priority Mail International services,

or 2. Get third party insurance on the non-trackable services, and if the buyer claims they didn't get it, file the insurance claim and refund the buyer. This is the cheaper option but impatient buyers still don't get any tracking. I've seen some sellers snap a picture of your item being mailed to calm buyers and make them more patient.

Either way there is an additional cost. If international buyers want your item badly enough, they will pay the extra. Sometimes you may be surprised how much those international buyers will willingly pay for shipping.

Login to Me Too

ApexPredator
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tips.  Any links to 3rd party insuarnce?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.